cannot access water hose to port water tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

cannot access water hose to port water tank

Post by arch007 »

My water hose has not been changed for 40 years on my cape dory 28 and I was thinking of changing it.

But tracing the water hose from the sink it goes across the engine and into a hole on the port side.

I cannot find where the hose exits and goes to the port side water tank.

There is storage area under the galley stove but it does not extend far enough.

there is a bulkhead on the port cockpit thru hull and I think the hose exits behind the bulkhead.

Thanks for any help.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: cannot access water hose to port water tank

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I just finished replacing the water hoses on my 1983 CD28. The hose went through the port bulkhead separating the cabin from the sail locker. It went under the stove (there is a sliding door to access the area under the stove. It then goes through the half bulkhead between the settee and the galley. Access to the water tank is by removing the plywood above it.

I removed the fill hose system. I always fill through the access plates on top of the tanks and found the inside of the fill hoses were somewhat unappatizing. There is no good way to clean and sanitize the fill system so I eliminated it. I ordered 60 feet of 1/2 inch hose from Defender and had about 3 or 4 feet to spare.

Let me know if I can add to this explanation.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
arch007

Post by arch007 »

Thanks.

Will go check it out tomorrow.

You used over 50 ft ? That seems a lot.

Thanks again.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

The run from the distribution point near the engine to the sink in the head compartment was quite long. Both tanks feed to the distribution point in the engine compartment and then go to the sinks. Also each water tank has a vent line which goes to the sail lockers and has a loop. It all adds up.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."