Cockpit locker hinge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SVFayaway

Cockpit locker hinge

Post by SVFayaway »

One of the recurring headaches of boat ownership is trying to match an existing piece of hardware to what's available on the market 40+ years after the boat was built. One of the hinges for my cockpit locker broke at the end of the season and I need to source a replacement. The only thing I've found that's even remotely similar is a bronze piece from Spartan which is still not a perfect match and is far too pricey for me to consider replacing all four hinges with. Does anyone know of another source of a similar bronze hinge or maybe even have one lying around that they would part with? I'd also consider buying new stainless hinges but I want something that's roughly 3"x3" so I don't have to repair the old screw holes in the gelcoat.
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
Jim Walsh

Re: Cockpit locker hinge

Post by Jim Walsh »

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36071

Might be something which chelininger has, but hasn’t been listed in his ad.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

SVFayaway wrote:One of the recurring headaches of boat ownership is trying to match an existing piece of hardware to what's available on the market 40+ years after the boat was built. One of the hinges for my cockpit locker broke at the end of the season and I need to source a replacement. The only thing I've found that's even remotely similar is a bronze piece from Spartan which is still not a perfect match and is far too pricey for me to consider replacing all four hinges with. Does anyone know of another source of a similar bronze hinge or maybe even have one lying around that they would part with? I'd also consider buying new stainless hinges but I want something that's roughly 3"x3" so I don't have to repair the old screw holes in the gelcoat.
Helps to show a picture of what you’re looking to replace.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

[quote="SVFayaway". Does anyone know of another source of a similar bronze hinge or maybe even have one lying around that they would part with? I'd also consider buying new stainless hinges but I want something that's roughly 3"x3" so I don't have to repair the old screw holes in the gelcoat.[/quote]

I didn't want to buy new ones either for $70 ea
One of mine broke . I made a new pin for it from a piece of brazing rod. I think it gonna work for a while
Last edited by JD-MDR on Jan 20th, '20, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
ty3

Post by ty3 »

I believe West Marine might have something close to what you're looking for.

Ty3
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

Spartan Marine has new ones for $72.00 each. Man, that is expensive.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I agree that the replacement price is dear but in the grand scheme of boat ownership it is a small price to pay when we consider the sums we lavish upon our avocation.

Here are some alternative sources....not bargain sources, just the kind of stuff which is available elsewhere.

https://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/innenbe ... scharniere

http://davey.co.uk/pdf/interior_fittings.pdf
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I'm with Jim and J.S. All things bronze or stock from now on. Later when I can afford it I will get the right hinge. I am even gonna go with the two tone woodwork, like John. Parts that get too much wear will be stripped and some parts like cockpit combing varnish. I varnished everything 3 yrs. ago as instructed and probably 8 coats. I let it go and now it looks terrible . Some parts peeled and can't be varnished over without stripping everything again. I want to put a cap on my combings also because I have to step on it to reach my mizzen halyard. I doesn't feel good to step on them like they are.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Found on Amazon.. " Boat lockable hold down clamp" Several brands, picture looks good but you'll have to measure to see if they are the correct size.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Walter Hobbs wrote:Found on Amazon.. " Boat lockable hold down clamp" Several brands, picture looks good but you'll have to measure to see if they are the correct size.
Wow!!! What an assortment! Great find Walter.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Another one of my hinge pins broke.. I noticed the price for new from Spartan is $85. I think I'll drill out the pin and make SS pins. I made the first one out of a brazing rod but I see that Spartan makes the pins Stainless Steel. I'll redo that one also
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

JD-MDR wrote:I varnished everything 3 yrs. ago as instructed and probably 8 coats. I let it go and now it looks terrible.
Varnished wood is beautiful, until it's not; then it's simply horrid and a royal pain to redo. I opted to follow the lead of previous owners and go the oil route. Not as pretty, but not as problematic, either.
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

For varnish - There's a new version of Cetol called Natural Teak that looks really good and should last 2 years in the South, maybe 3 years up North.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.