Lock Down Books?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Re: Lock Down Books?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

"Trapped Under the Sea" by Neil Swidey. It's the little known story about the Boston Harbor Deer Island Wastewater Treatment Plant 10-mile outfall pipe, and the divers who lost their lives unnecessarily due to a systematic breakdown in safety by all parties involved.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

Stuck @ Home Reading List - This is completely informal and I have a couple of these going at once.
Just finished two William Gibson novels, "The Peripheral", and the second, "Agency". Be sure to read them in this sequence and be prepared for scenarios that include global human pandemics, ecosystem failure and extinctions due to climate change. Charming eh? But very good reading especially descriptions and use of cool not far fetched advances in technologies. Highly recommended!
Now reading all of the glorious 700 some pages of Hilary Mantel's just released final book of the Wolf Hall trilogy, "The Mirror and the Light". Thomas Cromwell continues enabling Henry the 8th's reign (spoiler alert) up to the point he loses his head I assume.
Because of the movie release, I've pulled a Library of America compendium of Jack London's novels off the shelf for a re-read of "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang".
Try James Haley's "Bliven Putnam" series starting with the Shores of Tripoli. He is having a go at an American Hornbloweresque series about the early days of the U.S. Navy (not yet read these)
Here's one I read a couple weeks back, thoughtfully given to me by my best sailing mate aboard my cutter Surprise, its called "The Cape Horn Breed" an account of sailing as an apprentice/boy in a full rigged ship, round the Horn and elsewhere, 1905-1909 by William H. S. Jones. Antique prose, but well written and surprisingly readable. Argh.....!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

• -Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea by Gary Kinder. Well told story of the finding of the richest shipwreck ever.
    -Sheila in the Wind by Adrian Hayter. Story of a solo sailor England to India after the second war
    -In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. Excellent non fiction about 1930's Germany from the eyes of the daughter of the -American ambassador
    -Anything by Conrad
Also, I read the Aubrey Maturin series once a decade. I figure this decade is launching itself rather slowly, why not get an early start.
Paul
CDSOA Member
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I second Bernard Cornwell, the Last Kingdom series, as well as the Sharpe books. For those history buffs looking for a broader perspective on the social evolution of our species, Sapiens, by Yuval Harrari, will knock your socks off!
Stay healthy out there.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The last two I’ve read are “Open Boat Across the Pacific” by Webb Chiles, and “The Romantic Challenge” by Sir Francis Chichester. These are from my library and I have read each several times. I’m just beginning “Truxtun of the Constellation” by Eugene Ferguson, published in 1956. This is the first (only?) biography written about one of the first six Captains appointed to the United States Navy by President Washington in 1794.
I had been saving this, and nine other newly acquired books, for my escape to Bermuda. Oh well, I’ll just be forced to accumulate another batch of books for next years trip to a, hopefully, COVID-19 free Bermuda.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:I'm reading The Big Sleep, a bit of noir by Raymond Chandler. It's the first book about private eye Philip Marlowe, and it's terrific.

As for music, I'm listening to Everybody Knows This is Nowhere by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Can't get enough of that Cinnamon Girl.
casampson...I got it wrong. Yes to Zuma but the other one I was thinking of was Crazy Horse at the Filmore, live 1970. That’s one of NY’s first sessions with Crazy Horse and features Danny Witten who later died of an over dose and is often believed to be the subject of “The Needle and the Damage Done.” Just in case you are ever on Jeopardy... anyway, it’s a great album and has the same vibe as Cinnamon Girl.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

"Very Willing Griffin" by David Blagden was a good read. It details his experiences in the 1972 OSTAR in a 19' Hunter (UK). David had to get special permission from the race organizers to participate since his boat was so little. I thought he was an exceptionally skilled storyteller and some of his anecdotes had me laughing. Especially the flare story.

https://www.amazon.com/Very-Willing-Gri ... 043201425X

I bought "The Boy, Me, and the Cat" recently but have not yet read it. I'm told it is well-told true tale of a man, his son, and a cat who sailed their 24' Cape Cod catboat from Massachusetts to Florida and back in 1912-1913.

https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Me-Cat-Cruis ... oks&sr=1-2
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
S/V Ethan Grey

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

Almost anything by Maurice Griffiths
Wanderer by Sterling Hayden
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947