CD 25 Water Supply

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

CD 25 Water Supply

Post by casampson »

It took me a couple of years, but I finally figured out that the reason the water compartment in the bow of my CD 25 wouldn't hold water was that a previous owner had cut the hose running from the tank through the bilge to the sink. I put in a connector and now the faucet pumps water beautifully and the tank doesn't gush water into the bilge.

Does anyone have any idea why someone would cut this hose? Also, is there anything I should do to treat the water in the tank to make sure it stays fresh? I can't imagine drinking it, but I'd like to be able to nevertheless.

Finally, I'm hoping that the extra weight from a full tank of water will push my bow down. She rides six or eight inches too high, and it has always bothered me.

Thanks.

Chris
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: CD 25 Water Supply

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Only reason I can see for cutting the hose was that it got nasty inside. I'm changing out all the water lines on my 28 for that very reason.

When I had my 25 I always carried a full tank of water to help hold the bow down. It will help. It's like having a large man sitting on the bow, without the windage. :D
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:It's like having a large man sitting on the bow, without the windage. :D
Or the need to share your beer and snacks.

Adding a bit of bleach is the standard for keeping water fresh. To make it palatable, you might add a simple strainer type filter and then an under sink charcoal filter. It is amazing how well it eliminates any bad tastes in the water. This includes the chlorine taste and smell when it comes out of the tap. I drink the tank water all the time and I no longer have to hold my nose to do so, Steve.
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I had a union in my hose at the lowest point to help with winterizing. Maybe PO forgot to tell you.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum