Experience with Storm Jib? (CD 26)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mkaplan

Experience with Storm Jib? (CD 26)

Post by mkaplan »

Does anyone have experience with a storm jib with knowledge that they can share? How do you attach the tack? Where do you run the sheets? I ordered a new storm that doesn’t seem to fit. The first hank is at the level of the turnbuckle not the forestay. If I raise the sail off the deck with a pennant then the jib sheet angle is wrong - it pulls more down then aft with no tension on the foot of the sail. Any advise from storm jib owners would be appreciated.
Jim Walsh

Re: Experience with Storm Jib? (CD 26)

Post by Jim Walsh »

Storm jibs routinely have a tack pennant to raise the tack above a bow pulpit on boats so equipped. This will ensure your jib isn’t chafing on a fixed object. It also somewhat limits the green water and spray your storm jib will have to contend with. They also routinely have a pennant attached to the head of the sail so your halyard is in its normal position when you are using any other jib. This prevents a rope halyard from chafing on your forestay.
The lead of your sheets should have been taken into account when your sailmaker measured your boat for the storm jib. At that time the suitability of your current setup, or the need to add a sheet block should have been noted.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

Jim, Thanks for your reply. My boat has two tracks on each side for movable sheet blocks, a genoa track aft of the mast and a smaller track forward of the mast. Do storm jib sheets typically run to blocks that are forward of the mast?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

You haven’t revealed what boat you own, but as a general rule the fairest lead is best. If your track forward of the mast is intended for a blade jib (100% foretriangle or less) that would be my choice.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

I own a Cape Dory 26. Thanks again for your responses. I'll attach pennants and see how that works. The ultimate solution may be to work with a sailmaker who is familiar with the boat.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mkaplan wrote: ... I'll attach pennants and see how that works. The ultimate solution may be to work with a sailmaker who is familiar with the boat.
I am a bit surprised that the person who made your sail did not fit it with pendants in the first place. As Jim stated, this is pretty much universal with such sails. IOW, don't spend your own time and money, but instead have the sailmaker fix the problem. As an added benefit, it's unlikely that you will need to use this sail any time soon.
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

Thanks for your input. I don't have a sailmaker locally (Atlanta, Georgia) so over the years I have ordered sails (main, jib, spinnaker) over the phone from different dealers, some domestic, some foreign and it's usually not a problem. This is the first time I had a problem, probably because they don't get many orders for storm jibs. I'll see if the vendor will make it right.
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

mkaplan wrote:Thanks for your input. I don't have a sailmaker locally (Atlanta, Georgia) so over the years I have ordered sails (main, jib, spinnaker) over the phone from different dealers, some domestic, some foreign and it's usually not a problem. This is the first time I had a problem, probably because they don't get many orders for storm jibs. I'll see if the vendor will make it right.
Another reason I would discourage your doing the job yourself is that typically the pendants on "high-footed" sails use some form of wire rope at the foot (and the head) and that means you would normally be required to use either a swage tool or some sort of mechanical fittings (e.g., Sta-Lok) to do the job properly. In the case of swage fittings, learning to use the tool properly is not so easy as it seems. For Sta-Lok and other mechanical fittings, the cost is a bit on the high side. Of course you could always try a traditional wire splice as some here do, but unless you have a lot of time on your hands, a reasonable collection of marlinspike gear, and don't mind putting a sharp wire through your thumb every so often, you may not find that route particularly practical.

As the saying goes, "different ships, different long splices." BTW I don't mind mentioning that I have a few small sails listed here that would likely fit your boat (just sayin').
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

Thanks for the info. It's good to know about your jib. I'm going to try to correct the one I have but if that doesn't work I'll contact you about yours.