Boat heater for CD 31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Mike Davis

Boat heater for CD 31

Post by Mike Davis »

I am looking into purchasing a Dickinson Propane heater for my cd31. I'm not sure where to put the propane tank, (possible in starboard lazerette.) Has anyone installed one of these in their boat? Where did you put the tank? How did you build the tank holder? Thanks in advance. Mike Davis
Jim Walsh

Re: Boat heater for CD 31

Post by Jim Walsh »

The propane tank must be located in a purpose built tank locker (which is airtight and vented overboard) or mounted out of doors, such as on a stern rail mount. It is unsafe to mount a tank anywhere where a leak may allow the gas to accumulate below deck and be susceptible to an explosion caused by a spark.

Example of a tank locker;
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?n ... id=3473225

This is what I have;
https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galle ... -Assembly/
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

This is why you don't store propane below deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxm3uMy6MPI
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

Thanks for the information. I am completing the rudder shaft stuffing box re- packing project and although I have never left the boat in the water, I am interested in doing so this winter. That's where the heater comes into play. I am cooped up in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY living with my 94 year old father and mother and go to my boat for safety and mental relief. The boat is on the hard. There are several jobs that I would like to do before I put the boat in the water. Re-do nonskid, strip and varnish wood, work on the mast, which is unstepped, amongst other things.

Having the boat in the water in the winter is a refuge for me, an escape from the inside. Any recommendations and perspective thoughts are welcomed. The heater is a must.
Thanks,
Mike Davis
Brooklyn, NY
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you are in the water at a dock, you could plug in a little 1500 watt heater while you are on board. I used to do that on Raven and it was usually more than adequate. There was one time when it was extremely cold and windy where I could only get the cabin up to 50* but even that was tolerable. A little rum and a decent sleeping bag made for a cozy night.

One thing I did do was to add bubble wrap style insulation behind all the ceiling boards in the V berth and the main cabin. I also made doors for the stowage areas behind the seat backs. Those opening used to let in a lot of cold air and it was right next to you while you trying to sleep.

Spending time on the boat in the winter is sort of magical. The light that reflects up off or the water on a still morning is beautiful and nothing beats that first cup of coffee in the cockpit while bundled up to greet the day, Steve.
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

I keep my CD28 at the dock in Sequim Bay WA year round. In the cold months iron a small electric heater and a small dehumidifier to keep things fairly dry. I bought a cheap dehumidifier, poked a hole in the water tank and ran a hose from it to the bilge so it wouldn't fill up and shut off. Seem to work pretty well and keeps the cabin temp about 50.

Bernie
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

We've used this Mr Heater Buddy when working on our boats on the hard when doing projects and unable to heat with electric heater or the wood stove due to the shrink-wrap still being on. If you keep an eye on it and provide ventilation, it does a really good job heating the cabin. I would not leave it on if I was not onboard paying attention however.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mr-Heater-9000 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Paul
CDSOA Member
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis »

My marina shuts off the electricity in the winter months. Thats why I'm looking to purchase the heater.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

you might want to consider dual 10 lb aluminum or 17 lb. composite tanks. this make it easier to switch them out when one is empty. Trident makes gas lockers to mount under the deck (but I have not installed one) and they sell all the other gas fittings you would need as well. The dickinson cozy cabin heater is a sweet little fireplace.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Have you considered a diesel fuel fired heater rather than propane? Dickinson makes them also.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Mike Davis wrote:I am looking into purchasing a Dickinson Propane heater for my cd31. I'm not sure where to put the propane tank, (possible in starboard lazerette.) Has anyone installed one of these in their boat? Where did you put the tank? How did you build the tank holder? Thanks in advance. Mike Davis
Mike
Others may feel different but I am not a big fan of propane heaters. For me, I t’s not because they are unsafe. My issue is they are expensive to run for extended periods.

Propane is convenient and can quickly bring up the temperature. So they are effective that way. They are fairly clean burning. So that’s good. Like all, except electric heaters, they must be vented. So for taking the chill off in the morning or for the occasional couple week three season cruise they are good. But for full on heating through the winter nothing beats a kerosene or diesel heater. Some folks are very happy with the small wood burning stoves like those made by Navigator Stove Works.

I use a Refleks heater. Made in Denmark. US importer is Hamilton Marine. I am very happy with it. I have never used a Dickinson heater but I have heard good things about them. I have run the Refleks MK 66 for days on end. I am told in the North Seas the fishing fleets run bigger Refleks heaters all winter and never turn them off.

Whatever heater you install you want to install it as close to the cabin sole as possible. Think about the vent chimney exit point. I think the forward saloon bulkhead is the most logical location for most boats.

I rejetted my diesel heater to run off kerosene because kerosene burns cleaner and I don’t have a diesel engine. I carry 10 gallons of kerosene in a dedicated fuel tank. But diesel makes more sense if you have a diesel engine.

Below is a link to a description of our heater on my sailing blog. Within that post is a hyperlink to a post on our rebuild website detailing the installation. The thing I like about having a cast iron heater top is you can use an Ecco Fan on it which dramatically improves the heater by blowing warm air across the boat. There is no requirement for electric power in this system. It’s about as bulletproof as a system can be. On the page detailing the installation there is an embedded video of the ecco fan running on the heater top.

https://farreachvoyages.net/2017/12/16/ ... xs-heater/
Last edited by John Stone on Apr 29th, '20, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I am very happy with my Taylor 079k kerosene heater http://www.taylorsheatersandcookers.co.uk/heaters . Cheap plentiful low volatile fuel, safe and a fits beautifully on my salon starboard bulkhead.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

35F540B9-21FD-4E21-AA11-2D650F1D4CEF.jpeg
This was from a propane leak.

Obviously it was in pretty sad shape before he tried to light the heater.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote: Obviously it was in pretty sad shape before he tried to light the heater.
Yet it looks like a rather new-ish life sling on the stern...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

mgphl52 wrote:
Capt Hook wrote: Obviously it was in pretty sad shape before he tried to light the heater.
Yet it looks like a rather new-ish life sling on the stern...
Hopefully they salvaged the life sling.

The "boat" is gone now.

Owner survived but was in the hospital a while.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA