CD27 Standing Rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sailor_grant

CD27 Standing Rigging

Post by sailor_grant »

Hello! This is my first post to the forum, and I am excited to be part of the community.

I bought a 1978 CD27, and have been getting it ready for the season.

The standing rigging looked a little suspect to me with incorrectly sized clevis pins for the toggles on the upper shrouds. Upon deeper inspection, it appears that the clevis pin is properly sized for the chainplate, however, not the toggle. I am struggling to find accurate data on what size wire should be on the boat. (I can not find it in the manual)

What are the proper size wiring, turnbuckles, and clevis pins for the CD27 that is stock?

In addition, I am planning on removing the chainplates and replacing stainless thru-hull screws. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached pictures of the trouble spot I was describing on the standing rigging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD27 Standing Rigging

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Memory is a funny thing. It fades pretty quickly when it comes to details like this, but I don't recall closed barrel turnbuckles on either of my former CDs. Your lower turnbuckle looks like it has very little adjustment left in it. I'm afraid I can't help on the wire rope sizing, since I have only owned a CD25 and a CD30 and of course my current boat, which is a Brand-X. Welcome to the Board! You will find a wealth of knowledge here and a sprinkle of good humor, too.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Go to the About Cape Dorys section in the upper banner and pick your model, you can download the manual with all of the information that you need.

http://www.capedory.org/specs/cd27.htm
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Tim ... I cant find wire size in the old manuals ... ?

I think my 27 standing wire is 5/32 lowers and 7/32 uppers. I’ll confirm in a few days.

Grant ... whatever you do, those toggle jaws should be replaced with jaws that fit the pins.

The line drawings from the 78 manual show closed barrel turnbuckles. So your are are probably original.

A good source for rigging parts:

http://www.riggingonly.com/

Also

https://www.garhauermarine.com/mast-boo ... ckles.html

I have my mast down ... here are pix of my rigging ... this wire is 5 years old. The pins and turnbuckles and jaws are older ... but not sure they are original. Next few days I’ll be cleaning them up a bit and hanging back on the mast. They look like Garhauser parts to me, but I don’t know for sure.

Why do you want to replace the stainless chain plate screws? They look fine. If you are not leaking and the backing plates below deck look ok leave well enough alone. Note that the backing plates are hard to judge up under the cabin liner ... or even find. They may look heavily rusted but often that is just surface rust and sloppy fiberglass work... take a small drill bit and make a few exploratory starter divots in the backing plates. You should hit shiny raw steel almost immediately. If so ... your plates are probably ok

My two cents
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Those toggles and turnbuckles look like they may have been around the sound a time or two. If that is the original rigging, and it looks like it might be, then it is over 40 years old. There is a very good chance that that the toggle cracked and someone replaced it with the wrong size. Even if the rigging was replaced half way through the boat's life, it is still very old. I have never heard of a bolt failure but other rigging parts do fail. If you have any money in the boat kitty, it would be well spent on new standing rigging, Steve.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

fmueller wrote:Tim ... I cant find wire size in the old manuals ... ?
Try the 1981 manual. It seems to be the most comprehensive and has rigging specs for the 27.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

page 95 ... don't know why I couldn't find it before ...

file:///Users/fmueller/Desktop/Ty-Ty%20Wkndr-22D-25D-27-28-30-30K%20(1).pdf

at least I remembered my wire size correctly ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay