Typhoon Ready to go when..........

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mhorton44

Typhoon Ready to go when..........

Post by mhorton44 »

From this to this and ready to get the mast on, but no more progress until I am allowed to go to the marina.
Attachments
DF82F0BC-CE71-4B27-BF37-4ED3C1B68D58.jpeg
DF82F0BC-CE71-4B27-BF37-4ED3C1B68D58.jpeg (3.71 MiB) Viewed 650 times
885F0D2F-456B-4F93-AF95-83F0E688C2A8_1_201_a.jpeg
885F0D2F-456B-4F93-AF95-83F0E688C2A8_1_201_a.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 650 times
Chrisa006

Re: Typhoon Ready to go when..........

Post by Chrisa006 »

Beautiful!,
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
robwm

Post by robwm »

Absolutely beautiful ! My hat off to you and your skillset(s). Happy sailing soon ...
Robert
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

This little boat has been a delight to work on. All I am really doing is bringing things back to the way she was. Plus new sails, cushions and covers. After working on larger boats, it is great to be able to paint the bottom with ½ a gallon in 45 minutes!!
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

Is that Selby Bay Marina in Edgewater? If so I've driven past that boat many times and hoped someone would rescue her. Nice job on bringing her back!
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

Yes. This is Selby Bay Marina. My other boat is in Holiday Point. Joe Gunn from Mast and Mallet worked on the restoration of a Weekender last year (Edna) and it looked stunning. When I saw this forlorn Typhoon in the SB marina lot I could not resist and am thoroughly enjoying bringing her back to life. Have a slip reserved at Holiday Point for when we can get in the water and sail again.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Well done!
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Nice work!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
SVFayaway

Post by SVFayaway »

mhorton44 wrote:Yes. This is Selby Bay Marina. My other boat is in Holiday Point. Joe Gunn from Mast and Mallet worked on the restoration of a Weekender last year (Edna) and it looked stunning. When I saw this forlorn Typhoon in the SB marina lot I could not resist and am thoroughly enjoying bringing her back to life. Have a slip reserved at Holiday Point for when we can get in the water and sail again.
I do a lot of work at Holiday Point, which is why I drive past often. Really glad you saved this boat! There's a lot of fun and joy to be had bringing an old boat back. I've had a couple of close calls with project Typhoons, it'll happen one day. My other little obsession is the Star class and funnily enough I just noticed a sad looking one where your Typhoon used to be at Selby Bay. Maybe I should go and talk to them...
Avery

1974 Cape Dory 28
S/V Fayaway, Hull No. 2
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

Yes the Star arrived there a few weeks ago. A bit sad but looks sound. At least in nicer shape than the Catalina 22 they tried to move below a tree with the mast still up. Oops.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

You've done a terrific restorative job - it doesn't even look like the same boat. The woodwork in particular
is gorgeous. What did you do to it? Did you remove it all and brush on a teak cleaner? Thanks - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
mhorton44

Post by mhorton44 »

I first gave the whole boat a power wash to get off the worst of the crud and lichen and went very gently on the teak, before removing all except the toe and rub rails. Winter project was minor repairs the the coaming boards and light sanding, then eight to ten coats of Epifanes multi coat varnish. Then re-installed the coaming boards and trim and installed new home made teak plugs, which were each touched up with four coats of varnish. Pending is to finish off all the teak with two to three more coats and seal the gaps to the fiberglass etc. For 1979 wood, the teak was all very sound except for some cracking which I patched with Titebond III mixed with teak dust. Decided not to varnish the rub and toe rails so they were rubbed down and treated with Semco honey tone sealer. That stuff is excellent. I used it on my other boat last May and it still looks good.

With bit of luck we might get it in the water next week, but not sure when we can take it out. Still need to replace the non skid with Kiwi grip and tidy up inside but they can be done when she is in the water. To be honest, I got lucky with this one, all I really have done is to get it back to the way it was, with no major issues so far. Of course, the Typhoons are such simple and strong boats, they don't have the complications of engines, plumbing and fancy navigation and electrics.

I was concerned about not having a depth sounder here on the Chesapeake, but a friend reminded me that the draft is 2 ft 7 inches, so he suggested I hop overboard and push the boat off if we touch bottom and the water should not get higher than my waist. Certainly cheaper than SeaTow!