Surveyor for CD33 in Newport, RI

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

svrecklessabandon

Surveyor for CD33 in Newport, RI

Post by svrecklessabandon »

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a surveyor to look at a Cape Dory 33 in the Newport, RI area. Does anyone have a name or a company for someone who they've worked with before, heard of positively, etc.? I'm looking for someone who can do a pretty deep dive, but I assume that's any surveyor.

I know in this difficult time we have lots of other worries besides boat buying, but I figure surveying a boat is a job that can be done safely even now.

Many thanks!

P.S. I searched the board and found a thread on surveyors in Portland, ME (close, but too far north), and Newport News, VA (has the word Newport in it, which is a start, but too far south), but didn't see anything, but if I missed a thread please point me in the right direction!
Jim Walsh

Re: Surveyor for CD33 in Newport, RI

Post by Jim Walsh »

https://www.marinesurvey.org/surveyors/ ... de-island/

This is a list of accredited surveyors in Rhode Island. I have no personal experience with any of them. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I can recommend James W. Igoe - ABYC,NFPA,SAMS.AMS. He lives in Matapoisett, Ma.
Tel: 508-758-9099. He surveyed my CD 33 in 2012 and is very experienced. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

In 2015, I screened a few, and was very pleased with hiring:
Bill Coble, Marine Surveyor
P.O. Box 1434
North Kingstown, Rhode Island 2852 United States
Work Phone: 401-295-1389
Cell: 401-595-5395
Fax: 401-295-1389
Email: cobleboatsurveys@cox.net

Good luck.
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Google Bravo Marine Associates to see webpage.
Fred the owner is a friend but I never used him for a survey.
You could check him out.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
svrecklessabandon

These are great suggestions, thanks everyone! I'll get in touch with a few of these and see who's available / affordable. Anyone else with suggestions please do post, I've got a few weeks in hand I think.
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Peter Hunt of Norton, MA (huntmarinesurvey.com)
Peter worked at the Cape Dory factory for a while when it was a going concern, and as such has personal knowledge of how CD boats were built. Also, in my experience, he understands that a boat purchase decision involves more than just the technical evaluation of the vessel - he has helped me decide if it was the right boat for me.
MHB Sailor
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Peter Hunt surveyed my former CD30. He was very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I had a good experience with him. Consider that two data points. That said, there are many fine surveyors.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
vsail
Location: Previous owner of Cape dory 27 "Suela" Town River, Quincy, MA

Post by vsail »

I bought my boat in Maryland but I am having Peter Hunt take a look at my new to me Cape Dory 33. I was impressed when he surveyed my Cape Dory 27. Thumbs up on Pete and keep safe. We will be on the water soon just practice social distancing.
svrecklessabandon

Thanks all - I certainly hear the several recommendations for Peter Hunt, and I'm trying to work out a way to get the boat surveyed safely.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Bravo Marine Survey, Very knowledgeable and a Cape Dory owner. Local and honest Brian M Middletown RI
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I bought my boat in Salem MA in Oct, 2013. I used Peter Hunt. He did a very thorough inspection. I also bought a very good, well maintained boat. I was not from the area, the broker recommended him.
His number at that time: 508-285-4984
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Highly recommend you cal, a couple of folks and talk to the , and get pricing. I don’t want to generalize but some of the so called surveyors really don’t do a thorough job. And I’m not convinced the certification clip levels for this profession are difficult to achieve. It’s just my opinion.

I’ve used several over the years for my past boats and they really didn’t find anything that I already didn’t know...

Is the boat listed with a broker? If so, ask if they’ve surveyed for brokerage boats from that yard before. The surveyors don’t want to piss ff the local broker and sometimes understate conditions.

Note...most surveyors do good work, but you need to ask them the right questions upfront.

I’ve always found David Pascoes site to be informative over the years. Sadly he passed away in 2018.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/dhpascoe.htm

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing