best source for standing rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

best source for standing rigging

Post by Megunticook »

Hope everyone is faring well in the pandemic. Strange times we're living in.

I need to replace some of my standing rigging. What's everyone's favorite source for that? I just to need to order a new forestay and upper shrouds.

Thanks. And stay well.
Carl Thunberg

Re: best source for standing rigging

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Are you doing the work yourself or hiring it? If the former, you can mail your existing rigging to Rigging Only in Fairhaven, MA and they will replace it in like kind. If you are looking for a local rigger, try Weymouth Yacht Rigging right in Rockland. They are replacing my standing rigging this spring.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks, I'll contact Rigging only.

Has anyone used APS in Maryland?

Had mixed results with Weymouth a few years ago, recommended by a neighbor, nice guy, easy to work with, but he made several small measuring mistakes and when I pointed it out he wouldn't accept responsibility. We worked it out in the end but I won't go back.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Good to know. He came recommended by my boatyard. I haven't used him yet.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I second Carl’s recommendation of Rigging Only. Danny is easy to work with and will always make it right. He made me a new set of uncoated 1X19 lifelines a few years ago and a new staysail stay when I added roller furling.
I replaced all my standing rigging several years ago but I just bought the 1X19 and Staylok fittings from Defenders and did it myself. Pretty easy process if you are so inclined.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Another vote for Rigging Only: http://www.riggingonly.com/ or if you are doing your own mechanical terminals use their online store:
https://www.riggingandhardware.com/

I used them to supply all of the standing rigging on Mahalo including furlers. I used all Sta-Loc fittings (except Hi-Mod for the backstay insulators) and did the work myself. We also used them to make us a new set of lifelines using 1x19 wire and swage fittings. For the lifelines I sent them the old ones and had them make replacements.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com