Wallas Nordic DT Stove/cabin heater

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BernieA

Wallas Nordic DT Stove/cabin heater

Post by BernieA »

I finished replacing my Origo 6000 alcohol stove with a Wallas Nordic DT. Since the Origo had an oven it took up a lot more space than the Wallas, I had some space to deal with. I filled it with a vent panel, a drawer, and space for the 10 liter fuel tank. I could have tapped into my existing diesel tank, but I didn't want to drill and tap a hole that would have left aluminum tailings in the tank.
The front panels are made from bamboo plywood, sold as plyboo. the vent is white oak with trim of teak. THe drawer is 16x12x4, giving room for utensils, hot pads, etc.
Time will tell, but is seams to be working well.
Galley Front.jpg
stove top.jpg
Cabin heater.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frenchy

Re: Wallas Nordic DT Stove/cabin heater

Post by Frenchy »

Very classy, BernieA. I like it. I've read that diesel stoves throw out so much heat that it can be
too much in the summer. Maybe you can comment after a season of cruising. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

I will give updates if there's anything significant. Here in the Salish Sea, summers are pretty mild with highs rarely over 80 and nights around 50. We have a propane stove in our house and my wife likes the ease of controlling the burners. She's afraid of propane on the boat, so the diesel stove is a compromise for cooking. I was really sold on the ability to thermostatically control heat in the cabin. It extends our cruising season on both ends. We also have periods when the weather is nice but cool December thru February and being able to cruise then is also a plus. We keep our CD28 in the water year round since freezing rarely happens here.

Bernie
CD28 S/V Pinafore
Sequim WA
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Bernie, adding heat was a good move. We spent a week sailing to the San Juan Islands last month. Beautiful blue skies, snow covered mountains, and only an occasional other boat. But we burned a lot of firewood!
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

We had a Cole Stove on board until I added the Wallas. I fired up the old stove once and found that it heated up the stove really well and helped in the main cabin, but not in the V berth. I don't like open flames inside the boat and was leery of the Cole. I'm glad to have been able to remove it. If you see a CD28 Pinafore out on the water, that's us. We stayed a couple nights in Ladysmith last summer and really enjoyed it. We'll likely stop there again on our way north this summer.
Bibster

Post by Bibster »

So, what are you doing with the Origo?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

BernieA wrote:We had a Cole Stove on board until I added the Wallas. I fired up the old stove once and found that it heated up the stove really well and helped in the main cabin, but not in the V berth. I don't like open flames inside the boat and was leery of the Cole. I'm glad to have been able to remove it. If you see a CD28 Pinafore out on the water, that's us. We stayed a couple nights in Ladysmith last summer and really enjoyed it. We'll likely stop there again on our way north this summer.
What are you going to do with the Cole stove? Could you post a photo of it?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

The Cole strive was in pretty bad shape, rusty, etc. I tossed out. The Origo 6000 is in good shape and has its gonna hardware and all three alcohol pots. I also have about 3/4 gallon of alcohol. I am looking to sell it. A new one lists for about $1700. I think about $400 is fair. I'll have to figure out how to drain the alcohol out of the pots to ship it if someone is interested. I'm located in Sequim WA.

Bernie
CD28 Pinafore