CD28 with a coachtop traveller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wjgray3

CD28 with a coachtop traveller

Post by wjgray3 »

I've seen a listing of a '77 CD28 with a coachtop traveller. Was this available as a factory produced feature, or is it an aftermarket mod? If aftermarket, it seems like the coachroof would need strengthening. If it wasn't strengthened, then that is inviting trouble.

On the other hand, if it was a factory installed option, then a bimini becomes more of an option, since the aft traveller is not interfering.
I live where it is really hot and sunny, so a bimini is a good thing to have.
Has anybody installed Air-conditioning in a CD28? Where is the best place to put it?
Also, how easy is it to trailer a CD28? Or does it require professional transfer?
Thanks.
mgphl52

Re: CD28 with a coachtop traveller

Post by mgphl52 »

I suspect the traveler was a custom mod. I have a bimini on KAYLA with the standard traveler. It works well for me when some onboard want shade, it just doesn't shade the entire cockpit.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

All of the 30s and most of the bigger CDs have the travelers on the coach roof. I wouldn't be surprised if CD did it for the original owner. I wouldn't be worried about it being strong enough either. On my CD-30 there are rectangular aluminum backing plates and all is well, Steve.
Rockinar

Post by Rockinar »

My 28 has A/C in it. It goes in the head area where the sink and locker are. You lose the sink and locker though.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

In regards to trailering,

I converted the steel cradle for my CD28 to a trailer by adding axels and a tongue. I don't pull it far, about 15 miles to launch and the same to home. But it is easily lifted off and placed on the trailer by the derrick at my yacht club.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
camroll

Post by camroll »

I put a cabin top traveler on my old CD 28 25 years ago. It was the single best thing I ever did to the boat. I sailed i all kinds of weather and never had any problem with it.

Russ
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

camroll wrote:I put a cabin top traveler on my old CD 28 25 years ago. It was the single best thing I ever did to the boat. I sailed i all kinds of weather and never had any problem with it.

Russ
I certainly cannot argue with your preference. Yet I found that an improved 3 or 4 purchase traveler fitted aft (in lieu of the lame setup shipped from the factory) allowed for example a single-hander to both steer (tiller) and trim the mainsail simultaneously with little effort. I don't know from direct experience, but do not the coachroof travelers (fit much forward and hence requiring more force to trim) allow this easy trim underway?

An example: http://yachtkerrydeare.blogspot.com/201 ... epair.html

Just sayin'.
Last edited by kerrydeare on Jan 26th, '20, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

kerrydeare wrote: but do not the coachroof travelers (fit much forward and hence requiring more force to trim) allow this easy trim underway?

Just sayin'.
It all depends on the purchase. If you bump up to 6-to-1 blocks on the coachroof, the effort is less of a problem. Personally, I prefer the aft traveler but that could be from all my Cape Dorys being rigged that way :?:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
camroll

Post by camroll »

kerrydeare wrote:
camroll wrote:I put a cabin top traveler on my old CD 28 25 years ago. It was the single best thing I ever did to the boat. I sailed i all kinds of weather and never had any problem with it.

Russ
I certainly cannot argue with your preference. Yet I found that an improved 3 or 4 purchase traveler fitted aft (in lieu of the lame setup shipped from the factory) allowed for example a single-hander to both steer (tiller) and trim the mainsail simultaneously with little effort. I don't know from direct experience, but do not the coachroof travelers (fit much forward and hence requiring more force to trim) allow this easy trim underway?

Just sayin'.
Standing at the tiller all my sail controls were right in front of me and I could reach everything while still holding on to the tiller. I never had any issue with the amount of force needed to trim the sails or even to move the traveler across. I just never liked the idea of dragging the mainsheet all across the cockpit on jibes.
Russ
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

I will take the coachtop traveler any day. Had my neck caught in the aft version too many times :roll:
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

I probably will never get to it and maybe don't want it but how do I know that my boom is strong enough to use a coach top sheet? The primary reason for going to such a system would be the absence of sheet strangle and the ability to maybe have a buttoned up cockpit for winter sailing. I have a loose foot main and I get the impression that it deflects as is with the end sheeting. It is a 1977 CD 28