Looking for Fuel Tank Design Input

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hilbert

Re: Looking for Fuel Tank Design Input

Post by hilbert »

John wrote:Does the roll over vent allow escape of diesel odors/fumes inside the boat?
The vent allows gases to pass in both directions. It has a ball check valve that drops down during rollover to prevent liquid fuel leaks.
The roll over vent has a barb for a 5/16 hose which could be directed to a improvised container with some activated carbon.

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Anyone use Florida Marine Tanks in Henderson, NC? Highly recommended by Beta Marine? About 3 hours from the house.

Anyone ever have the exterior of the aluminum tank epoxy coated? If so, impressions?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I know if I was going to do it I would have the tank epoxy coated . . . for aesthetic reasons alone, not only for durability. I always think of Zeida and her absolutely beautiful Bandolero, talk about pride of ownership. :D
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:I know if I was going to do it I would have the tank epoxy coated . . . for aesthetic reasons alone, not only for durability. I always think of Zeida and her absolutely beautiful Bandolero, talk about pride of ownership. :D
I don’t recall seeing pictures of her boat. Got any links?
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

It has been awhile since She has posted anything, one of the last postings was about carpeting in her engine "room". Her is a link to some of here posts:

http://www.capedory.org/board/search.ph ... mit=Search

Here is one more link to her "engine Room":
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... m&start=15
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

John Stone wrote:Anyone use Florida Marine Tanks in Henderson, NC? Highly recommended by Beta Marine? About 3 hours from the house.

Anyone ever have the exterior of the aluminum tank epoxy coated? If so, impressions?

They were the original CD supplier and did my replacement tank. They were thorough and professional. Insisted I sign the plan of my modified tank before beginning construction. This insured that we were all on the same page, Steve.