Southern New England Cruise, anybody?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Southern New England Cruise, anybody?

Post by Joe Myerson »

A number of years ago, members of the Northeast Fleet held a multi-stage Southern New England Cruise. I would like to see this project re-established, particularly for those of us whose cruising waters are south of Boston. If you have any ideas on this, and if you'd like to help put such a venture together, please feel free to contact me.

If you are going to attend the Jan. 18 NE Fleet Annual Meeting in Connecticut (see thread above), let's have a little meeting on the subject after the meeting and before, or during, the Captain's Reception at the MacDonalds'.

Best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jim Walsh

Re: Southern New England Cruise, anybody?

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great idea Joe. Looking forward to the discussion.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

I'm interested. I'll see you at the meeting on the 18th. There's a meeting at McDonalds too?
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Walter Hobbs wrote:I'm interested. I'll see you at the meeting on the 18th. There's a meeting at McDonalds too?
As stated on the agenda at 4:00pm there is a captains meeting at the home of Ruth and Leo MacDonald. It’s a short distance from Flanders Fish Market. It’s not to be missed.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Thanks Jim, Missed that.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sorry Walter et al.

I should have specified that I meant Leo and Ruth MacDonalds' home, NOT the so-called restaurant.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:A number of years ago, members of the Northeast Fleet held a multi-stage Southern New England Cruise. I would like to see this project re-established, particularly for those of us whose cruising waters are south of Boston. If you have any ideas on this, and if you'd like to help put such a venture together, please feel free to contact me.

If you are going to attend the Jan. 18 NE Fleet Annual Meeting in Connecticut (see thread above), let's have a little meeting on the subject after the meeting and before, or during, the Captain's Reception at the MacDonalds'.

Best,

--Joe
Let's talk about it... there are a lot of variables... but if you (I) start in Boston and head south to the canal, then cruise around for a couple of weeks before heading home, that's the base for a group cruise... jump in and out as your cruising schedule allows, but somewhere in the middle, we schedule a large rendezvous.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

New England sailing can be broken down into three zones. Southern New England is anything south of Cape Cod. Northern NE is Maine and the rest is the middle.

Buzzards Bay and out to the islands would make for an excellent cruise area, if it is to be in southern NE. The trouble with these cruises is that they always seem to came at a time when I am off on my own cruise, Steve.
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey Steve,

Maybe we can coordinate this time.

I included Boston in the "Southern New England" moniker to include those who might be based north of Cape Cod, but I agree that Long Island Sound (the "Dead Sea" in summer), Narragansett Bay/Rhode Island Sound, Buzzards Bay and the Islands would make a great cruising ground.

Hope to see you at the January Meeting.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Hey Steve,

Maybe we can coordinate this time.

I included Boston in the "Southern New England" moniker to include those who might be based north of Cape Cod, but I agree that Long Island Sound (the "Dead Sea" in summer), Narragansett Bay/Rhode Island Sound, Buzzards Bay and the Islands would make a great cruising ground.

Hope to see you at the January Meeting.

--Joe
The Northeast Fleet covers everything from New Jersey to Maine, which puts Buzzards Bay about in the middle. One flotilla approaching from the north and another approaching from the south would meet up there... So from the north, Boston (perhaps Peddocks I.), Scituate and then through the canal make sense. From the south, Block, then Cuttyhunk, perhaps.

As you know, currents matter, a lot... especially through the canal, Woods Hole, and the like. Planning requires charts, tide/current tables, and an appropriate beverage.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil Gordon wrote:The Northeast Fleet covers everything from New Jersey to Maine, which puts Buzzards Bay about in the middle. One flotilla approaching from the north and another approaching from the south would meet up there... So from the north, Boston (perhaps Peddocks I.), Scituate and then through the canal make sense. From the south, Block, then Cuttyhunk, perhaps.

As you know, currents matter, a lot... especially through the canal, Woods Hole, and the like. Planning requires charts, tide/current tables, and an appropriate beverage.
All very true, Neil.

Are you coming to the meeting in Connecticut? If not, let's talk (It's been too long, anyway).

Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:
Neil Gordon wrote:The Northeast Fleet covers everything from New Jersey to Maine, which puts Buzzards Bay about in the middle. One flotilla approaching from the north and another approaching from the south would meet up there... So from the north, Boston (perhaps Peddocks I.), Scituate and then through the canal make sense. From the south, Block, then Cuttyhunk, perhaps.

All very true, Neil.

Are you coming to the meeting in Connecticut? If not, let's talk (It's been too long, anyway).

Joe
The plan is to be at the Winter meeting, yes!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Philip Tanner

Post by Philip Tanner »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the winter meeting this year. For some reason, I have three other commitments on that day. Unusual since I rarely do anything during the winter months. Anyway, I would be interested in a summer cruise in southern New England.
I Hope that someone will let me know if anything materializes at the meeting. So, I'll be thinking of you all enjoying the great food and Cape Dory comradery.
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Joe Myerson wrote:

All very true, Neil.

Joe
The plan is to be at the Winter meeting, yes!
Phil,
Rhode Island is definitely an important part of any Southern NE cruise, so whatever happens, we'll keep you in the loop.

Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I suggest that the event planning meeting be the last thing we do at the restaurant since not everyone goes to the MacDonald’s afterwards.
Joe Myerson wrote:A number of years ago, members of the Northeast Fleet held a multi-stage Southern New England Cruise. I would like to see this project re-established, particularly for those of us whose cruising waters are south of Boston. If you have any ideas on this, and if you'd like to help put such a venture together, please feel free to contact me.

Best,

--Joe
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay