Typhoon Weekender Winch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ty3

Typhoon Weekender Winch

Post by ty3 »

I need to take apart my winches and lube the bearings. Have never done and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks all.

Ty3
Jim Walsh

Re: Typhoon Weekender Winch

Post by Jim Walsh »

A photo or a description of the winches would help. I can only imagine that previous owners may have upgraded or replaced the winches on most Ty’s over the years.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

robwm

Post by robwm »

Rebuilt my winches (previous boat) several years ago and found it to be a rather easy project. You can do it on the water or in your shop/work ares. Use the schematic/instructions per the previous post. Make sure you have several small boxes available to store parts as you disassemble the winch, don't be shy about taking pictures as you go along (will help you putting things back together), and, most importantly if you are taking the winch apart on the water: take a small cardboard box of the right size to fit the base of the winch and cut a hole in it so that the winch pokes up through it before you start taking things apart so that it catches small parts that have a tendency to "fly" overboard :D

Robert
1982 CD22, Hull #122,
Hunky Dory
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks for the link Ben....In the brief time that I had this fall will my new to me typhoon, I noticed one of the winches would not lock....it spun both ways as I remember....are there parts available for the original winches?
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

shavdog wrote:Thanks for the link Ben....In the brief time that I had this fall will my new to me typhoon, I noticed one of the winches would not lock....it spun both ways as I remember....are there parts available for the original winches?
Hopefully, the pawl is just sticking, in which case a cleaning will get it working again. If not, you can give these folks a try: http://www.arco-winches.com/products/spares I've never had to replace any part of my winches, so I haven't used them. They might be your only resource, though, outside of looking for an old winch to take scavenge from.
ty3

Post by ty3 »

Jim Walsh, the winches are Lewmar Single Speed
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Those winches are common, simple and easy to find springs and pawls for. I am sure there are some folks showing you how to take them apart on You Tube. It is a pretty simple process. That little split ring in the top can be confusing the first time you see it but everything else is pretty straight forward. Winch grease on the bearings and light oil on the pawls. Freshly cleaned and lubricated winches are a joy, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is a link to Lewmar winch service manuals. I think the specific winch you have is a single speed Lewmar No. 7. That is what was original equipment on my CD Typhoon Weekender (1977; Hull No. 1400)

There is initially a general discussion of caring for winches, etc. However, if you scroll down to about page 32, you should see pictures and detailed service/maintenance instructions.

https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/fi ... 20iss6.pdf

I hope this helps.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
ty3

Post by ty3 »

Thanks all. Much appreciate the help!

ty3