Yanmar 1GM marine engine does not crank right away

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Yanmar 1GM marine engine does not crank right away

Post by cjrs472 »

This is my situation with my Yanmar 1GM: I push the starter button repeatedly in order to get the motor to turn over. I get no immediate engine crank. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Yanmar 1GM marine engine does not crank right away

Post by tjr818 »

Do you hear a click from below each time you press the button?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi Tim

Will check for the click sound. So it means that if I hear it, must be the electric cable and not the solenoid/starter???
Thanks
RC James

Post by RC James »

Similar situation years ago-
-Check the Grounding Strap/Cable in your engine compartement (Blk cable attached to fwd right engine mount-- in my 25D). Top nut on mount had backed off, causing a 'not-so-solid' ground contact, allowing grease and dirt to contaminate the ground.
-Disconnect, clean, polish, and re-tighten.
It may be that simple. Mine's stayed tight for 12 years.
RC
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hi,

Are you keeping the button depressed with no response. At times mine will do that for a few seconds and then begin to turnover or on a second attempt it will turn over. Not sure this is useful for you.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

If you have a voltmeter on your panel, it should read lower as you press the starter button. If
it doesn't, then there is a break in the circuit somewhere - bad ignition switch, starter button,
ground connection, etc. If the voltmeter does read lower, the starter solenoid could be sticky.
Often a tap with hammer on the starter motor while someone hits the starter button will get
things going.- Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Thanks . Will try all suggestions provided.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Another possibility: 1GMs need a good shot of fuel to start. On my 25D, I pull out the neutral button and push the throttle lever in reverse, because the throttle won't open as far in forward. Give it a try.

Good luck!

Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe Myerson wrote:Another possibility: 1GMs need a good shot of fuel to start. On my 25D, I pull out the neutral button and push the throttle lever in reverse, because the throttle won't open as far in forward. Give it a try.

Good luck!

Joe
For better or worse, right or wrong, I do exactly what Joe M. does and for exactly the same reason.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

Among the other suggestions, check the connection that supplies voltage to the starter solenoid. My Volvo has a spade lug that corroded and I had the same problem. I cleaned the lug on the starter and replaced the connector.

Bernie
cd28
S/V Pinafore
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Thanks again for the suggestions. Will let you know which method worked when fixed.
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi
I think got the problem solved. Now I just press the starter button once and the engine crank right away. I pretty much followed some of your suggestions by cleaning the connections. I used sandpaper, not too coarse, to polish the metal. Below what I did but BEFORE disconnected battery cables:

1. Cleaned grounding strap-negative battery cable going to engine mount --- see on photo (A)
2. Cleaned connectors shown as D in the photo

For connectors shown on photo as B and C , these were just disconnected, then added some lubricant (CRC MARINE 6-56) inside the two connectors and reconnected .

3. Cleaned connectors in the starter solenoid (see following photo and shown as A and B)

By the way , these two pictures were taken before cleaning the connectors.

Thanks again for your suggestions .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.