Nor'easter slamming New England Wednesday

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

Nor'easter slamming New England Wednesday

Post by Megunticook »

Sounds like potentially quite a nasty little storm on its way from the upper midwest...National Weather Service seems to be taking it very seriously. Gale warning up for Penobscot Bay starting Wednesday night.

My mooring by Laite Beach is fully exposed to the northeast, so I took the liberty of moving into the inner harbor. I'll rest easier tomorrow night when the rain is pelting the bedroom windows in sheets and the trees are swaying.

Hope any New Englanders who still have their boats in (been beautiful sailing this fall, including full moon evening last Saturday) are taking any and all precautions, particularly with any northeast exposure.

KMagill

Re: Nor'easter slamming New England Wednesday

Post by KMagill »

It’s starting to blow here in Mt Siani. I took you advice and secured all lines. Tied my main up like a pork roll and did the same to the jib.

I am fortunately on a floating dock but it still gets quite nasty.

Hope it passes quickly.

Thanks for the “Heads Up”
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

About 6 boats on the beach or rocks in Beverly, MA. One boat sunk at the dock. Jubilee YC had the ramp to the floats wash up on a nearby beach. From news reports, Rockport, MA may have been hit worse.

I hope you all fared well.

Jeff
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Current forecast for our Bay area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Worst of it here in Maine was early Thursday morning. Power was out all day in much of Knox County.

I went down around 9am yesterday to check on my boat in the inner harbor. It's tied up at the town's "finger floats" at the very head of the harbor, so about as protected as it gets. Everything was fine, although I'm sure it got a bit bouncy for a few hours. Not sure how bad things got in the outer harbor but I did see the harbormaster was dealing with some boat that was obviously damaged and threatening to sink. Not sure if it ended up on some rocks or what.

Today gusting to 30 knots out of the northwest but fortunately Camden Harbor is reasonably well-protected from that direction. It's the E and NE winds that can really hit the outer harbor here.

Tomorrow actually sounds like a terrific sailing day--sunny, NW breeze 15-20 knots. I'm tempted to run over to Islesboro to buy some of that elusive ethanol-free fuel, but alas have too much to do here. I was lucky enough to spend the day out last Sunday, including watching the full moon rise behind me as I headed home.

Hope everyone fared well.