Typhoon Furling Head Sail Need Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

Typhoon Furling Head Sail Need Advice

Post by shavdog »

I plan on ordering a new furling head sail for this typhoon I purchased...Right now I have a 150 hank on old sail that came with the boat...I bought a snap furler and need to buy a head sail.....interested in what size do you think would make the most sense....I don't want a 150 and I don't want a 100....I'm thinking something like a 120-130...comments welcome....thanks. conditions on the lake here are all over the place....some days are on the calm side and some 20+...(I don't care to go out in 20+) I had a 150 with uv protection on my cd22 and all I remember was how difficult it was to bring the sail around in light winds....too much material up front for my taste...also interested in a couple of main street sail makers for recommendation....thanks
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon Furling Head Sail Need Advice

Post by Ben Miller »

I got a new headsail last summer to augment the tired working jib that came with my boat and I did a lot of reading on this board beforehand. It looked to me like most people with roller-furling get something in the 130-135 range, and I'd agree that that's probably a good spot to be. My 135 (hank-on) is kind of a handful once the wind gets up past 10 knots or so, at which point the boat is happier with the working jib. So a 135 for light air that you can roll down to 90-100 when the wind gets up should work great.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks Ben....did you see my post about us being in Traverse City last week...the 135 is about right I think.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I bought a 135 this spring and had a high clew custom made - really liked the sail this summer. Make sure that you have it cut to miss the spreader when close hauled. I have a CDi #1 Furler.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I ended up ordering a 135 furling head sail($600) from Precision Sails....I was very surprised once I bought it, they turned it over to a designer and he spent about 30 minutes with me asking different things about how I use the sailboat.....I bought 5k worth of sails two yrs ago from rolly tasker and never got past the sales person....I also bought a snap furler from schaffer...for $667...no shipping, no tax.....I put it together in my basement because of the cold weather....the extrusion comes coiled in two parts and was very difficult to straighten out....my wife had to help me snap it together....directions were easy to follow...I have owned three cdi units in the past so this will be a good comparison....I also bought a 2.5 hp Suzuki outboard from online outboard for $850 including tax and no shipping....I rarely use a motor...spring I will sand bottom and strengthen rudder to post, vc 17, new boot stripe, strip sickens with franmar, and repaint blue deck with tan nonskid...in the past I have used interlux nonskid but did not like the idea it did not harden enough ....will see....I just bought this....my third typhoon...