insurance premium reality check

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

insurance premium reality check

Post by Megunticook »

My TySenior's policy is up for renewal--$288 if paid upfront, $15K replacement value, no deductible except for electronics ($500), trailer ($250), and "personal effects" ($1K).

How does this compare with what others are paying? Seem like a reasonable premium?

Thanks.
Ben Miller

Re: insurance premium reality check

Post by Ben Miller »

For a year of coverage? Seems reasonable to me, based on what I'm paying for a Weekender in the Great Lakes.

FYI, depending on the insurance company, where your boat is berthed could make a BIG difference in premium. Gulf Coast is almost certain to cost more than Maine, for example.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Hello, mine was about the same for last year.This year I added my triad trailer (2009) and premium went up about 80$. This is for 17000$ similar deductibles. I use Progressive and luckily have not needed to use it!!
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks. I actually have a new Triad trailer coming soon, so I imagine that will raise this premium a bit. But good to know it's basically in-line with others.

Oddly it went down about $25 from last year...not sure why. 5 years without a claim, maybe?
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

That seems to be a great deal if it’s agreed to hull value without any depreciation.

What insurance company?

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Progressive
Keith

Post by Keith »

mine is $389 for $22K value on my 30 cutter with Amica.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Megunticook wrote:Progressive
I've been with Progressive for boat insurance since 1997. I have since moved both vehicles and added a motorcycle.
It's great to call them, identify yourself and then be told that you're next in line for being a loyal customer!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The premium on my 28 went down this year, too. I suspect it's an underwriting decision based on industry loss history and not that I've never filed a claim.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tmoroney75

Post by tmoroney75 »

$134 for my Typhoon Senior on the Chesapeake Bay with Boat US. Pretty much bare-bones policy that's acceptable for a slip rental w/o claims.. knock knock
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Be sure to “read the fine print” of your policy - when I had a claim on my Typhoon this past season for some hurricane damage & repairs, BoatUS (Geico), informed me that the final payment would be reduced by 80% due to the boat being more than 20 years old! This policy/reduction aspect was never explained or mentioned during the underwriting process and came as quite a shock - be sure to ask your agent if they have any such “hidden” deductibles included in their policies... (btw, my policy also included a $500 deductible, so the original $2,800+/- estimate for damages ended up being reduced to a final settlement of just $60. - Unbelieveable!) Buyer beware..!