Testing the holding tank.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dasein

Testing the holding tank.

Post by Dasein »

I have a CD25 with an inboard head. I haven't used the head as I don't know that the lines and holding tank are sound. Any suggestions on how to test the system before I create an unpleasant mess?

Thank you.

Fiji Gin
1978 CD25
Kingston, NY
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
s2sailorlis

Re: Testing the holding tank.

Post by s2sailorlis »

Some basics. Is the holding tank empty? If so, just put some water thru the head and start pumping. If there are no leaks or nasties, you should be good to start. My experience, if you don’t know the prior regimen of the PO, assume worst case scenario...;). Make sure holding tank vent line is clear, joker valve (always loved that term) is functioning in the head, assume it’s raw water intake so that needs to be in good order, etc. visually inspect the line from head to holding tank, wipe a clean cloth along the line, if it smells, you’ve got issues. Good luck!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks Rick. Sounds pretty straightforward. I was thinking to add some food coloring to the water so any leaks would be more obvious. It will be nice to know that I can overnight on her.

Thanks again.

Happy sailing.

Otto
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

If you find your head situation stinks..;). Google “Peggy Hall” aka the head mistress. She’s written several books on maintaining heads.
Dasein wrote:Thanks Rick. Sounds pretty straightforward. I was thinking to add some food coloring to the water so any leaks would be more obvious. It will be nice to know that I can overnight on her.

Thanks again.

Happy sailing.

Otto

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Food coloring works but you probably need a couple of larger bottles, the little McCormick assortment bottles are probably too small.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Kickin Bears

Post by Kickin Bears »

Lots of really good advice already. I didn’t see it stated, but service the pump first before doing anything else imo. Take a look at the holding tank line for calcification while disconnected to get a sense of condition too; replace if built up.

I don’t think you need food coloring personally. Assuming you don’t have any other leaks / drips to the bilge, you can fill up the tank with clean water via pump out cap topside. If theres a leak, you’ll see your bilge fill and will know the culprit.

+1 on Peggy Hall .... she knows her sh!t :roll: :wink: :D