Typhoon Scuppers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ty3

Typhoon Scuppers

Post by ty3 »

First year w my "79 Ty and curious why water comes up ( in small amounts ) up through the scuppers when sailing --

They otherwise do drain very well.

Thanks for feedback, this site is a great resource, especially to new Cape Dory owners!

Ty3
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon Scuppers

Post by Ben Miller »

That's not uncommon. The top end (cockpit end) of the cockpit drains are just barely above the waterline, so if you put much weight (for my boat, about two adults) in the cockpit you'll get some water sloshing up through them.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Our Typhoon is fine with two of us in the cockpit (total weight about 335 lbs), but when we add a third person the cockpit drains are below the waterline.

If we want to keep our feet dry with more than two people on board, we heel the boat to one side, close the high-side seacock, heel the boat to the other side, close the (new) high side seacock, then add the third person to the boat.

CRITICAL: Don't forget to open the seacocks after your sail or you might sink the boat with a good rainfall! Store your car keys by attaching them to the seacock handle and you will never forget to close the seacocks before you leave!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I love the keys on seacock idea. I put mine in the refrigerator so i remember food going to someones house.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven's ignition key always gets put on the engine, raw water seacock. When I get to the boat, I open the seacock and put it in the ignition. When I leave the boat, I close the seacock and put the key on the handle.

I don't have a full proof system for remembering to turn off the battery selector switch and a fool has left that on, Steve.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Just curious. I never clise my seacocks or the battery switch. Am I being too careless? I never leave the boat more than 5 days.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I typically close my six seacocks when I head back to PA from Maine, not every time I leave the boat. It’s good to “exercise” them. I currently have one that seems to be a little frozen (the galley sink) and have been beating that one open. Loosening the adjustment nuts by its self has not helped.

Always turn the battery switch off even for overnight. The auto bilge pump should be hard wired to a battery bank. Although that may vary depending on the size / wiring set up.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
ty3

Post by ty3 »

really appreciate all the suggestions/responses.

I've also thought of laying down some raised wood matting in the cockpit to keep feet above the small amount of water. Anyone else does that?

Thanks agin, great resource this message board.

Ty3
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Only in my dreams. The teak grates are too expensive. I do get some water when motoring thru my rudder post. But I wont be motoring as much now that I have a windvane. Some day down theline I will probably make something
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have a teak grate that came with the boat. I've needed to repair it about every two years but it is nice. At times I do catch my pinky toe in there and let out a yowl. Beware. When this one gets too thin from oiling and sanding every few years, I thought about using one of the commercial grade shower grate products you could simply cut to fit. I think you would get a similar result without the teak maintenance.

The advice about the Typhoon seacocks is sound. Our old Typhoon did the same thing. I had replaced the whole system as well, hoses, ball valves and all. One idea out there is to cross the hoses but I did not do that and cannot make an observation about it without making $hit up. Maybe someone on the board has tried it.

Good luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
DeepFriedTofu

Post by DeepFriedTofu »

OK Where are the seacocks located (brand new owner)
DeepFriedTofu, a Vegan because he's too cheap to pay for doctors.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Jump down in the cabin and look aft under the cockpit. You should have two seacocks (or more likely old gate valves) under the forward corners of the cockpit. If your Typhoon came with a head installed you might have one for that too.