Typhoon fore stay replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Berquist

Typhoon fore stay replacement

Post by Dave Berquist »

I'm thinking of getting rid of the RF which , I think, means I need to get a new fore stay. I asked a local shop for an estimate based on the info from the "users' manual" - 1x19 SS wire 1/8" x 20' 8". The shop responded with a question on the "Pull-To Pull length" which would require me to drop the stick. Not a biggie, but kind of a pain in the middle of the summer, ya know? Does anybody know of a shop that can provide a forestay on demand using the stock data (it's the original mast)? Thanks
Jim Walsh

Re: Typhoon fore stay replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

A rigger needs the “pin to pin” length to make you a replacement. They normally provide a swaged turnbuckle and want to ensure you have some adjustment to fine tune the length of your forestay. You should also specify the size of your clevis pins.
Most roller furling units can be disassembled and removed without harm to the forestay. That being said, all standing rigging should be replaced at reasonable intervals.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Curious why a new forestay is needed. Most furlers are designed to fit over an existing forestay I thought?

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

:wink: The CDi furler requires its own forestry whereas others may it. I put a roller curler on my typhoon and wouldn't leave the dock without it! I did save the original forestry just in case I ever wanted tore turn to using the small jib. I do not miss going up on the foredeck to retrieve the sail at all!
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Hmmm.. I installed a CDI on my Tanzer 22 and just placed it over my existing forestay. I don’t think they need a special forestay, the model you choose though does dictate maximum wire size of the stay but I would never go down on wire size. I’ve also had a ProFurl and it fit over an existing stay.

Dick Villamil wrote::wink: The CDi furler requires its own forestry whereas others may it. I put a roller curler on my typhoon and wouldn't leave the dock without it! I did save the original forestry just in case I ever wanted tore turn to using the small jib. I do not miss going up on the foredeck to retrieve the sail at all!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Jim Walsh wrote:A rigger needs the “pin to pin” length to make you a replacement. They normally provide a swaged turnbuckle and want to ensure you have some adjustment to fine tune the length of your forestay. You should also specify the size of your clevis pins.
Most roller furling units can be disassembled and removed without harm to the forestay. That being said, all standing rigging should be replaced at reasonable intervals.

Thanks for that. I think with the CDI RF that the drum takes some of the length originally made up by the stay, but I could be wrong. This is only my second season with the boat and RF and I have not had it apart (yet). Having too many issues with a "lump" when deploying and not so smooth when stowing. Could be a technique issue but I'm thinking it might go this winter. Also, the bolt rope appears to be jammed and the sail won't come down. No big thing for a Typhoon so I'm going to keep it up for the season unless it jams up completely. Thanks again.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I had a cdi furler on a 22 and a typhoon and never replaced the original forestay....don't waste your money
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

I’ve installed several CDI furlers on Typhoons and the only time I had to change out the headstay was when the swage was too large in diameter to slide through the 1/4” hole in the CDI foil or “luff”. The overall length did not change, although the extruded plastic foil did need to be cut down in length to fit. So returning to hanks should not require a new or replacement headstay, unless of course it’s time for a new one anyway - they’re only around $100...
Dave Berquist

Post by Dave Berquist »

Thanks to all for your input. Have a great day under sail!