How much do you think I saved in yard/mechanic fees?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bill Goldsmith

How much do you think I saved in yard/mechanic fees?

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Gonesail's question on the Westerbeke 21A raw water pump reminded me to post about a DIY repair I did last fall.

In late September last year I noticed my exhaust water had trickled down to almost nothing, although there was no overheating (yet).

I suspected a thrown impeller vane, so I pulled the raw water pump and the hose to the heat exchanger. Nothing clogging it. Then I pulled the heat exchanger (took about an hour to remove), brought it home and opened the ends. Yes, there were remnants of some old impeller vanes, but the real culprit was years of zinc pencil remnants clogging the entrances to the cooling tubes. I flushed it out with water and used a welding rod to carefully push out any pieces still in the tubes. Then I soaked the exchanger in Barnacle Buster (see this video https://youtu.be/g18-xIyR9jM) which cleaned up the exchanger very nicely.

Finally I installed new endcaps and gaskets and and new zinc, painted the exchanger, and reinstalled it (that also took about an hour). It ran beautifully for the rest of the season and continues to do so. Glad I caught it before the engine overheated.

This is something that a boatowner with some tools,patience and mechanical ability can do. How much do you think I saved in mechanic fees?
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: How much do you think I saved in yard/mechanic fees?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bill:

Time for mechanic to locate probable source (heat exchanger) 0ne (1) hour

Time for mechanic to remove heat exchanger One (1) hour

Time for mechanic to clean and rebuild portions of heat exchanger Two (2) hours

Time for mechanic to reinstall new heat exchanger One (1) hour

Total of about five (5) hours labor, assuming the mechanic did not "pad" the invoice with charged time for lunch breaks, coffee breaks, smoke breaks, etc.

In Miami, going rate for sailboat engine mechanic is about $300-$350/hour. My guess is you saved about $1,500 - $1,800 at a minimum. :D

P.S. In my experience in dealing with mechanics, coffee breaks and smoke breaks take place simultaneously but are billed separately. :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I forgot to mention "transit time". Some, perhaps, most boat mechanics have what they call a "portal to portal" fee. The $300/hour meter begins to run from when they leave their shop/home and does not stop ticking until they get back to their shop/home.

Tack on another $300-$600 for "transit time". :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:The $300/hour meter begins to run from when they leave their shop/home and does not stop ticking until they get back to their shop/home.
Damn! And I wasted all those years being a programmer... :( :( :(
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Knowing it was done right..... Priceless
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

The feeling you get from genuine accomplishment: also priceless.

kt
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

Bill Goldsmith wrote:Gonesail's question on the Westerbeke 21A raw water pump reminded me to post about a DIY repair I did last fall.
good job. I should pay attention in case I need to do it :roll:
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
P.S. In my experience in dealing with mechanics, coffee breaks and smoke breaks take place simultaneously but are billed separately. :roll:
Very astute observation.....and one of the best lines I’ve heard recently. Thanks for making me laugh out loud.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time