Canvas Snap Setting Recommendations?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

Canvas Snap Setting Recommendations?

Post by bilofsky »

I need to do a better job of installing snap fasteners (button and socket) in my Sunbrella window covers.

My inexpensive snap tool splits the stud in about 6 places, rather than rolling it in one piece. So the snaps don't last too long. Is that a problem with the stud (nickel-plated brass from West Marine) or do I need a better tool? And is there an economically priced one that will work?

(Not strictly a Cape Dory question, but it's been a while since I stopped in, and someone here must know the answer.)
bottomscraper

Re: Canvas Snap Setting Recommendations?

Post by bottomscraper »

We have a "Pres-N-Snap" tool that works very well. We have had it for a long time. I don't think they were nearly as expensive back when we bought it! We have never had one fail.

We get our snaps from either Sailrite or McMaster-Carr
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

Post by bilofsky »

Thanks, Rich. The Press-N-Snap is the best tool but they're $150 and I can't bring myself to pay that for one or two snap repairs a year.

Anyway, I figured out the problem. I was using a snap tool from a sewing and crafts chain store. The die that presses into the rivet and spreads it is a six-sided pyramid, clearly made to split the rivet into six little fingers as it folds them over. They don't last long on the upwind side of my boat.

I bought a cheap tool at West Marine that looks like the sewing store one, but has a round die. It makes a nice round ring just like my canvas guy's big power snap setter. Should be much more durable than the split rivets and good enough for the occasional repair on board.

I showed my canvas guy the sewing store tool and he was pretty happy to find out about it. He's been seeing those split rivets for many years but never knew where they came from until now.
camroll

Post by camroll »

Sailrite sells a cast die piece that does a great job making snaps. It uses a rivet gun to set the snap. It costs around $25. I just bought my second one (lost the 1st one to the sea). Here is the part number 104232

Russ