Insight on a CD 30 MK II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

House

Insight on a CD 30 MK II

Post by House »

Hello Folks,

I am seeking the board's wise counsel on this one. The Dean of the college where I teach plans to retire in the next year or so and has his eye on a 1989 CD 30 MK II in Charleston, SC. He's a Maine native, sailor, and is familiar with the Cape Dory name; he knows I own a 28.

He's asked me for some insight about the MK II. I've reviewed the specs; the MK II is beamier, a bit heavier, and carries more sail than the "regular" 30. MK II designed by Clive Dent, not Carl Alberg, etc. Beyond these specs, I am just not as familiar with the MK II as I am with the other models. It certainly does not seem as visible as the Alberg boats which I see in lots of places (marinas, dry storage facilities, for-sale ads).

I would love to get some insight on the MK II from former and current owners, or anyone who is more knowledgeable with that particular model!

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Insight on a CD 30 MK II

Post by Warren Kaplan »

The CD 30 MK II are FABULOUS laid out boats for a 30 footer. Some years back I was aboard 2 of them and they wowed me. Former NE Fleet Captain Michael Heintz's Machts Nichts, and also the late Dick Feffer's boats. As a matter of fact I almost bought Dick's boat ( but it wasn't the right time for me!)

You'll find the interior layout of the MK II is incredibly "roomy" for a 30 footer. I've been aboard larger boats that were not as roomy. And being a 30 footer, it's easily single handed if necessary.

They didn't make many of them and I've never heard a bad word about the MK II.
Of course all Cape Dorys are well along in years so any boat needs a thorough survey by a surveyor who actually knows what he's doing.

The MK II is DEFINITELY a boat to seriously consider if you can find one in good shape!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
House

Post by House »

Many thanks Warren! I'll pass this along to the Dean.

Take care,

Richard
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Here is a picture of former NE Fleet Captain Michael Heintz's CD30 MKII Machts Nichts trying to catch CD36 Mahalo. This was a friendly race at the 2004 CDSOA Plymouth, MA Rendezvous. The 30MKII is a nice boat, in different conditions he might have passed us.

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If he wasn't heeled so much he'd probably been faster... just saying.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Probably true, but it sure is fun to flash a little bottom paint sometimes!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bottomscraper wrote:Here is a picture of former NE Fleet Captain Michael Heintz's CD30 MKII Machts Nichts trying to catch CD36 Mahalo. This was a friendly race at the 2004 CDSOA Plymouth, MA Rendezvous. The 30MKII is a nice boat, in different conditions he might have passed us.
I'm not sure Rich. If your are taking this photo from the cockpit of S/V Mahalo, it looks like Mike H. on S/V Machts Nichts may have you "by a nose". :wink: :wink: :D :D But what's a nose length among friends. :D

I was once told that if two sailboats are headed in roughly the same direction it is, by nautical tradition, custom and history, a "race". I found that to be true. I NEVER won such a race but then I was not a very good sailor. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>I was once told that if two sailboats are headed in roughly the same direction it is, by nautical tradition, custom and history, a "race."<<

The faster boat is racing. The slower boat is cruising.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Neil Gordon wrote:>>I was once told that if two sailboats are headed in roughly the same direction it is, by nautical tradition, custom and history, a "race."<<

The faster boat is racing. The slower boat is cruising.
So true!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
I'm not sure Rich. If your are taking this photo from the cockpit of S/V Mahalo, it looks like Mike H. on S/V Machts Nichts may have you "by a nose". ....
Nope, I did not take the picture. You can see the stern of Mahalo in the distance on the left side of the picture! We did have my nephew, an experienced racer at the helm of Mahalo.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com