New owner questons of my Cape Dory 25...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Will J

New owner questons of my Cape Dory 25...

Post by Will J »

Good day Cape Dory 25 sailors,

First of all, I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to all of you that answered my questions and concerns when I was looking at getting this wonderful boat. You were all so helpful and I'm grateful. Thank you all very much. I now have a 1980 Cape Dory 25, hull number 742. Her name is, "Collar Up." (My polo collar is always up when I wear a polo, so I thought the name perfectly preppy for my charming Cape Dory 25!) I sail her here, on Lake Michigan in Chicago, Illinois.

Questions...I'd love to get a winter cover that covers the entire deck and boom, fore and aft. Are those common and/or able to be purchased and approximately how much are they? Can they be purchased used? I stored her outside uncovered and I think I'd like a cover. The yard doesn't let us use tarps and I don't like all the plastic use of shrink wrap and I can't afford to have it wrapped.

I've noticed I have a leak inside the boat on the roof where the wooden cap covers the deck step mast. Can this be fixed so it doesn't leak? I want that to be as dry as possible to keep the deck firm. There is another damp spot I see Starboard/aft under the cushion. Is this a common area to leak and how can that be stopped? I really want a dry interior. Is that possible with type of boat?

Lastly. I have found mold. White fuzzy mold on the floor near the wooden bilge cover and aft under the step. What do you use to get rid of this? I did buy Concrobium. Will this do the trick?

Thank you all for your answers and help! Wishing you all a terrific sailing season.

Cheers!
-Will and Collar Up
Jim Cornwell

Re: New owner questons of my Cape Dory 25...

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Recommend "Shipshape Canvas" in Duluth. Good quality, reasonable pricing (compared to east coast vendors).
Megunticook

Re: New owner questons of my Cape Dory 25...

Post by Megunticook »

Will J wrote:I've noticed I have a leak inside the boat on the roof where the wooden cap covers the deck step mast. Can this be fixed so it doesn't leak? I want that to be as dry as possible to keep the deck firm. There is another damp spot I see Starboard/aft under the cushion. Is this a common area to leak and how can that be stopped? I really want a dry interior. Is that possible with type of boat?
I have a Typhoon Senior which is similar but not the same design. A previous owner had done a schlock job on putting some wiring through the coach roof and the laminated wood beam that supports the mast step was damp. My surveyor noted it right away and said it would be OK if I dried it out and then properly sealed everything. That's a crucial structural area, if it stays damp and deteriorates you've got serious issues. I'm not familiar with the CD25 mast step, but I'm guessing you can investigate and pinpoint the leak source. Maybe where fasteners penetrate the roof?

What did your surveyor say about it?
Will J wrote:I have found mold. White fuzzy mold on the floor near the wooden bilge cover and aft under the step. What do you use to get rid of this? I did buy Concrobium. Will this do the trick?
Not familiar with that product, just know that even if you clean it up, it will return if that wood stays damp. Figure out where the moisture is coming from and take steps to prevent it.