Changed Title: Is the CD-26 seaworthy?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mkaplan

Changed Title: Is the CD-26 seaworthy?

Post by mkaplan »

I edited this topic to change the subject. I'm looking to buy a CD-26 because I thought it was a seaworthy boat, able to sail in conditions of, say 30 knots and 15 foot waves and to safely heave to in conditions up to 60 knots. A recent post suggested that the stern opening for the outboard could be a problem in heavy seas. Do any readers have experience with this boat offshore?

Original post below.
============================

I'm not a Cape Dory owner yet, but my wife and I are traveling to Cape Cod June 5-7 to look at a CD-26 so maybe soon we will be. I was wondering if you CD owners could tell me what problem areas to look for when I examine the boat. I'm aware of the potential for water infiltration into the deck and delamination but I don't know what else to look out for. Your comments would be appreciated.

Also, I like to look at sailboats, so if anyone wants to show us your boat in Cape Cod June 5-7, please let me know. And, if you want to go sailing we would love to join you. We plan to spend a day on Martha's Vineyard and/or Nantucket Island so if you want to sail there and back then lunch is on us.

You can reply here or call 770-455-4757 or email Mike.Kaplan at kapcom dot com. Thanks.
Last edited by mkaplan on May 31st, '19, 06:59, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Visiting Cape Cod June 5-7 to look at CD 26

Post by Joe Myerson »

Mike,
You should't list your personal email on this board. It's regularly mined by evil bots.
Better to spell out "at," or something else.

I'll send you a message.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

So yes… You know the expected thing is you will find a squishy fore deck due to water intrusion into the balsa core.
It usually enters through the anchor chain “through the deck”. It is inevitable, but make sure it’s not excessive. Especially under the bow cleat.

Next, Since the CD26 has a deck stepped mast, Make sure that portion of the deck is solid.

Expect to find crazing in the gellcoat. This is because the gellcoat is too thick, and thus prone to crazing and cracks. As long as they are not too deep, or you find actual movement you’re fine. However, pay attention to cracks around the life line stantions, the bow pulpit, and especially the chain plates. Look at them from the underside to make sure they are not leaking or softening the deck behind the backing plates. Some CD26’s just have washers instead of backing plates.

I would then look for excessive corrosion on the mast and boom. And any damage to the wire standing rigging and turnbuckles.

You will find some osmosis blisters below the waterline. Tap around, and just make sure they are not extensive. Pay particular attention around the lower rudder pintles.

Finally, Look at the through the hulls. There will be one Seacock under the stairs to the companionway. [my CD26 is a 1985, and this year I noticed some wetness and softness to the plywood backing plate. It will need to be replaced when I haul her this winter].
The other two through the hulls are your depth sounder.[ usually under the starboard berth] and the speedo. [usually under the port V berth].

As with all CD’s she is way overbuild, and thus can tolerate a lot of abuse and neglect.

Good luck
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

Frank,

Thanks for your thorough and helpful post.

I've owned five sailboats and none had blisters so it wasn't on my radar. Thanks for mentioning it.

If I buy the boat I'll seal all the through hulls. I don't need a speedo and I use a depthmeter that doesn't require a through hull. I assume the third through hull is for the head. I may keep it or I may use a composting head and seal that through hull also.

If I buy the boat I'll report back here and let you know what I found.

Joe, I got your email and replied and tried calling several times but it was busy each time. I thought I'd let you know here that I tried to contact you.
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Mike,

If this is the outboard version of the CD 26, I'd suggest it is the wrong boat for offshore work. Mine is an outboard version and it's just fine alongshore and in reasonable weather. But in a heavy following sea or steep chop, that opening in the stern is a big problem. Good luck,

Ken
mkaplan

Post by mkaplan »

Ken,

Yes, I'm looking at the CD-26 because I thought it was more seaworthy than my Com-Pac 23. I planned to sail it offshore - possibly to the Bahamas, Mexico and some day Cuba. This is the first I've heard that it may not be suitable. Can you provide more details? I think I saw where an older couple sailed a CD-26 to the South Pacific.
Ken Textor

Re: Changed Title: Is the CD-26 seaworthy?

Post by Ken Textor »

On this site and elsewhere, at least three CD 26 owners with the outboard lazarette configuration have reported thorough dousings of the outboard in heavy following seas, well offshore. I have not had that much trouble but I can see how it is perfectly possible. And of course, water can easily slosh into the cockpit area too. Many outboards can survive a brief submerging and still work just fine. Others cannot. I suspect this is why Cape Dory offered the option of an inboard on a CD 26. I think the CD 26 with the inboard is seaworthy; with the outboard, less so. I hope other CD 26 owners will chime in with their two cents.

Ken
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Having sailed my CD-30 on a few off shore passages as well as in some mean tidal races, I would not want to do it in a 26', outboard powered boat.

The diesel engine is reliable and doesn't tend to use much fuel. Mine also has a high capacity alternator. While big waves and high winds can be encountered; calms are a more likely occurrence. Unless you are willing to sit with your sails banging around for days at a time, a reliable motor is a great asset. I have motored for entire days. The motor in my boat consumes about 1/3 of a gallon per hour. That gives me almost 50 hours on the main fuel tank. With a coupe of 5 gal jugs, I get another 30 hours. So I have about 80 hours worth of fuel or about a 400 mile range. I doubt you could or would want to carry an equivalent amount of gas. It is not just about your range but also the availability of fuel in some areas.

As far as flooding the thing is concerned; that could pretty much ruin your entire trip. I have been pooped, twice, in a tidal race. The stern wave came right over the transom and filled up the cockpit. No real harm done with the diesel safely tucked away inside the boat. An outboard would have received two good dunkings.

I single hand and a 30' boat is pretty minimal for stowing all the gear and supplies that I need for extended cruising. She sits down on her lines when loaded. A smaller boat would be even more so. It would be even less comfortable in heavy weather as well. By the time you are finished outfitting a boat for long trips, you will have put a lot of time and effort into her. You might as well start with a something you will be satisfied with for a long time. I have a feeling a CD-26 is not going to be that boat.

Could you do it in an outboard powered 26' boat? Sure you could but it is not going to be very pleasant at times. There are some great bargains out there on boats these days. Cape dories are a great choice but I would be looking at a CD-28 or a 30 if you are planning to set the boat up for long range cruising, Steve.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I have not posted it yet but my CD 28 will be available this Spring. It’s suitable for off shore work and with modifications some have done circumnavigations in this model. Reason for sail is that I have another CD and my wife tells me that two mistresses are too much. I told her since I moved one to Key West that that one doesn’t count but she is not buying that.

Contact me if interested.

V/r

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tod Mills

Post by Tod Mills »

John Churchill sailed his 26 from the Chesapeake to Bermuda and back. It was a difficult trip. He expressed the belief that a boat with higher displacement would have been more suitable and subsequently sold the 26 and bought a BCC 28. (Hess design, with 14,000# displacement, compared to the 26's 5,300#.)

That said, many other lesser boats than a 26 have made noteworthy voyages, including Dave Martin's (modified) Cal 25 DIRECTION, in which he and his family circumnavigated.

John had written about his Bermuda trip experience in the newsletter and there are posts on this board, such as this: http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ohn#p10692

The outboard well is not an issue so long as it is sealed off from the rest of the boat. Check out the modifications that circumnavigator James Baldwin is doing to similar boats at his You Tube channel "atomvoyager". He really has some slick ideas for simple sailing!
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

In my opinion the 26 is seaworthy. The boat will be fine, however the Captain and crew may not do so well as the ob ceases to function and fails to produce enough power, etc. For the work you are contemplating get a 25D, 27, 28 or 30. All will serve your purposes much better than the 26 ob. My 25D has a 1GM Engine that works perfectly, good displacement and good handling all around. Fatigue is a big safety risk at sea - having a more robust boat will reduce that risk somewhat.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)