Jefa steering systems ("Leoma")

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

Jefa steering systems ("Leoma")

Post by JD-MDR »

I'm hoping to get some feedback on this autopilot . I would appreciate it anyone has any knowledge to share. https://www.jefa.com/steering/steering.htm. Oh, It didn't show the model. Its sprocket driven 200NM 12 volt. It looks really nice, has an electro magnetic clutch almost zero friction to affect my windvane. I don't want to use the tiller pilot that hooks up to the Cape Horn windvane. I think it will be a problem since I don't have a access hatch to connect and disconnect it. Please Respond Thanks
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Jefa steering systems ("Leoma")

Post by John Stone »

John
I don’t know a thing about the Jefa auto pilot. I don’t have an aoutonpilot. Sorry, I’m no help on this one.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Yay, Somebody responded. Thanks John. You are always so helpful. Thank You. I know you are having a wonderful time. I think I got my Cape Horn gear working I'll go to Santa Cruz Island this weekend to try it out.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I’m looking forward to reading how it went.

I’m still refining some things on the Far Reach. I never stop tinkering. Making the systems work as well as possible is just part of the on going process to making a good sailing machine a great sailing machine.

If the hub still does not work right on your worm steering I got another idea to try out on you....
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

John, I haven't researched autopilots.
My first question would be hydraulic or linear drive?
For a 30 ft boat, the linear drive might be simpler and require less space.
According to their web site, it would also be more energy efficient and quieter.

Being relatively expensive (about $2,000 for the drive unit if I understood their price list), I recommend taking your time and doing research.
You may want to go to www.cruisersforum.com and do a search on Jefa.
A post on the crusisersforum will reach a much larger audience and you will get more feedback for consideration.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jonathon, It's 2800 plus 194 for the bracket and 79 for a sprocket. I know it cost a lot more than the others. I'm not sure what linear drive means . I was thinking of a sprocket drive going on the aft end of my worm gear. If it's worth it I don't mind paying more. I'll be dead in 10 or 20 years anyway and it's all going to charity.
Attachments
autopliot.jpg
autopliot.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 385 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

my mistake, not a linear drive:

but a sprocket drive:

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't worth the price, only whether or not it was the best fit.
Whatever time we have, it will be more enjoyable with a good windvane and autopilot.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

This is the quote I got from the Jefa guy in Washington.

The Hallmark of the Jefa Sprocket drive is the Low Drag when disengaged and the very strong gearing.

Because of the double planetary gear reduction driven sprocket on your worm drive will be relatively small.

Most of the other units need a large sprocket on your worm drive to achieve the needed power

It may also help that we have been selling product by Jefa for 24 years.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

I have a Jefa Lineal Drive unit.

I can assert that it is very well made. Strong and silent in its operation. No complaints from me. Made in Denmark so not made in China if that concerns you.

I am sure their other products are as reliable.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks John. We have a lot of Johns here. I told the rep that because they were in Washington and it was a Norwegian product That was good enough for me
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510