Bermuda again...Orion feels home

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Bermuda again...Orion feels home

Post by Jim Walsh »

Orion is safely anchored in St. George’s harbor once again. This was a seven day passage which consisted of three days of beautiful weather and ended with four days of foul weather. The last day actually attained gale strength. I was lucky in that it abated late in the afternoon so I could make my final approach.
Once I cleared Customs and finally set the hook the winds fell silent and the moon showed it’s face. A long nights sleep was fully appreciated.
The Cape Dory 31 is a hell of an offshore boat. Meticulous prep work, and some good luck, ensured no system failures.
WiFi is very limited but I’ll provide updates soon.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Bermuda again...Orion feels home

Post by John Stone »

Outstanding Jim. Extremely well done. Get some well deserved sleep. Then, fish tacos!
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Well done - again!
Tiara will be back in Bermuda in about a month.
Enjoy some wahoo tacos - you've earned them!
Cheers,
John Ring
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim: BZ :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Good job Jim! Welcome back to paradise. Rest up, eat well, swim often and watch out for those "Tiger Sharks".

I am in full work mode and hope to be back in the water by July. Think of me while you enjoy the bliss of Bermuda, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Thanks everyone. I’ll TRY to enjoy myself......it won’t be easy. A buddy of mine with a Beneteau 423 (please, no laughter....) is coming down, fully crewed, of course, the first week of June so I’ll have plenty of wahoo taco nights in my future. It would be nice to see Tiara down here again...always a pleasure.
Steve, if I do see a tiger shark hopefully it’s not the last thing I see :D Good luck with Raven’s refurb. Can’t wait to see the dodger and all the other work you’ve done.
I’ll post some photos next time.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

If John keeps me as crew I'll be there with Tiara in a few weeks. It would be great to meet up!
Jeff
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

jbenagh wrote:If John keeps me as crew I'll be there with Tiara in a few weeks. It would be great to meet up!
Jeff
Jeff,
Any excuse I can find to eat more wahoo tacos. :D
It’ll be nice to see you and the Tiara crew.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Today has been glorious. Twelve knot winds, puffy white clouds accenting a bright blue sky.....fully worth the effort.
Twice today I had visits from people complementing Orion. One from a family of three from Sweden. They spent the winter in the Caribbean in their HR 43(?) and every time they went by on the way into town they’d slow down....the older gent has a HR 31 back in Sweden and greatly admired Orion. I immediately mentioned it was a Carl Alberg design and his eyes lit up. I mentioned it was a Cape Dory and the reply was “well built”. Funny how good a reputation our boats have overseas.
Another gent has a Nelson-Marek 36 and stopped by to tell me he’s on his way to Nova Scotia in a couple days. He said his boat pounds going to windward and said I’ll bet it’s much quieter for me in those situations. My reply was yes, a strong hull and a full keel sure help, but when you’re doing 8 knots I’ll be doing five. Then again I’m singlehanding so personal comfort is something I won’t compromise for an extra knot or so.
Here’s a picture of a cat beside me, he just finished cutting away the remnants of his main and headsail. He was caught in one of the squalls I was pushing through the day I arrived. I reduced sail appropriately, he did not. I saw wind speeds over 33 knots before it pushed through and moderated enough for me to safely make the approach to the island.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Those Swedes know Alberg and they know a good looking boat when they see it. Well done Jim. The mark of a pro is a passage made in tough conditions when no ones gets hurt, nothing gets broken...and the crew is still talking to one another...one of the benifits of singlehanding. :D
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It's easy to forget just how pleasant Bermuda can be. The last trip down I was asking myself, why am I doing this and then you forget about the nastiness as soon as you spend some time there.

You need to talk to the harbor master about setting a mooring in your spot with your name on it.

Things look a lot less crowded than during the cup year.

Swim often and ease into that savage tan you put on, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Managed to get a couple photos of Orion yesterday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

When do you head back home?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Very nice Jim. Orion looks magnificent. What is the blue canvas oriented vertically at the base of your mast. I like how your set up your sun awning. Are you happy with it? Is it set up for catching rain water?
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Jim Walsh wrote:...It’ll be nice to see you and the Tiara crew.
Jim - let me know if you can make it down to RHADC Sat June 22. I'll put you on the guest list!

John Ring
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.