CD30 holding tank, head and plumbing removal

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

S/V Ethan Grey

CD30 holding tank, head and plumbing removal

Post by S/V Ethan Grey »

My first two jobs on my new to me CD30 is to make sure the engine is running well and to get the stink out of the boat. I'm going to tackle the stink first so we can at least camp overnight on the boat while it's in the wet slip.

For the stink, I'm thinking it's the head/holding tank/plumbing system, so I'm going to yank it all out. I'm guessing someone else has already done this, but I can't seem to find any posts on the message board for a CD30. It looks like the holding tank is under the V-berth and I'm wondering if the tank will fit through the doorways once it's removed from under the v-berth. I'm hoping I don't have to remove bulkheads and such to get the tank out.

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated before I start tackling this project. Thanks!
David
S/V Ethan Grey
1981 CD 30C, Hull #199
Niceville, FL
CDSOA# 1947
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: CD30 holding tank, head and plumbing removal

Post by jbenagh »

It will fit but you need to remove the doors which is an easy job compared to the rest of it.
Jeff
JD-MDR

Re: CD30 holding tank, head and plumbing removal

Post by JD-MDR »

Bilge water gets pretty rank also. It can smell as bad as the holding tank. I use a rigid length on the shop vac hose to reach way back and get all the old muck out. Now I flood my bilge with fresh water every couple of months and test the manual pump then vacumm out the leftover. My neighbor had a bad odor on her boat she spent a lot of time flushing out the holding tank to no prevail. It was the bilge.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510