Cabin sole flooring

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dr2owen

Cabin sole flooring

Post by dr2owen »

Having spent the winter removing and rebuilding the cabin sole in my 330, I am trying to decide what to use over the recently installed subfloor. My first thought was carpet but reviews do not seem good on doing that. Does anyone have experience with cork as flooring in the cabin? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
wikakaru

Re: Cabin sole flooring

Post by wikakaru »

On a previous boat I re-did the cabin sole using Lonseal MW370 "Teak and Holly" (https://lonseal.com/products/product-de ... egsupWOOD/). It is a synthetic product that looks like real wood (at least from more than a few inches away), is significantly easier to apply than real wood veneer, needs no maintenance, and wears well. If I ever needed to re-do the sole of another boat I would absolutely use it again.

I would be wary about whether cork would stand up to prolonged wear.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

dr2owen wrote:Having spent the winter removing and rebuilding the cabin sole in my 330, I am trying to decide what to use over the recently installed subfloor. My first thought was carpet but reviews do not seem good on doing that. Does anyone have experience with cork as flooring in the cabin? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My friend Richard Wylie covered the sole of his Wylo 35 with cork. I thought it was fantastic. As I recall he used 1’ squares with adhesive backing that he then varnished. When I saw the cork sole it was 8 years old and the boat had made two trips across the Atlantic between Ireland and the Caribbean and spent a summer up a river in French Guiana. If I every build or rebuild another boat I think I will install a cork sole.

I wrote about it here.
https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... /#more-214
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

John: I read what you wrote about the cork sole. What is the purpose of varnish, does it add to the longevity of the flooring? How is the nonskid property after multiple layers of varnish?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Good question Vince. I assume it’s just to prevent staining from oil and water same as on bare wood. Also to bind it together and make it less resistant to abrasion. But I’d talk to Richard Wylie before I installed it to see what he learned. I still think I would try it on my next boat. Seems simple and effective. Inexpensive and simple to replace. Looks neat too.
dr2owen

Post by dr2owen »

I just got some samples from ICork flooring and the samples are pretty impressive. They are 12X12X1/4 tiles and come in all kinds of different patterns. I think I am going to use their Tasmanian burl pattern. The manufacturer's installation directions are to glue them down and then put two coats of sealer (varnish??) on the installed floor. Seems like a good product and I am going to give it a try. I will send pictures when it is done.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

GM

I used Plasteak (https://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recyc ... tte-finish) on board Rhapsody and it looked great. Only down side I recall was for the company to honor their warranty you had to use their proprietary glue. Otherwise, great stuff and great looking.

Fair Winkds
Bill Member #250.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hi Bob
That sounds great. I’d be interesting to hear how your project develops and and also turns out. I’ll bookmark the site. Someday I may need to install a cork sole.