Help! CD30K autopilot mounting locaton Raymarine Wheel.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

MarcMcCarron

Help! CD30K autopilot mounting locaton Raymarine Wheel.

Post by MarcMcCarron »

CD30K autopilot mounting locaton - raymarine wheel.
Where did you put the compass sensor and where did you put the computer box?
Thanks !
MARC MCCARRON
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Help! CD30K autopilot mounting locaton Raymarine Wheel.

Post by moctrams »

I placed my compass sensor forward in V-berth in the little "box" below bunk and the computer on the starboard side forward of storage area above setee..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarcMcCarron

Post by MarcMcCarron »

wow! thank you so much for your help. I guess I'm going to purchase a few more cables...lol.
Could you tell me the advantages of hooking up the chart-plotter to the system? your radio?
I'm trying to figure out the advantages of the "system" approach.
MARC MCCARRON
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I put the AP compass under the sink in the head, against the bulkhead to the salon. I figured that was least likely place to accidentally have anything steel placed nearby. We sometimes put canned goods behind the settee.
I did not connect the AP and the chart plotter. I added a separate compass to the plotter for more accurate radar images and that's behind the settee. I assumed a compass error on the radar wouldn't matter too much.
Jeff
MarcMcCarron

Post by MarcMcCarron »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect responses so soon, thanks for a great group!
MARC MCCARRON
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

On Raven, everything is pretty much independent. My auto pilot is wired as a stand alone unit. I just point the boat and click to engage it. Then I fuss with the port or starboard controls to alter course.

Radar and chart plotter are all in one.

I have a Standard Horizon, Matrix, radio with AIS that currently shares the chart plotter GPS antenna but I will be changing that this year. The newer models have their own built in GPS but mine is an early edition.

My stuff is a bit older and it would be harder to integrate but I am not so sure that is the best arrangement anyway. I like the fact that things are not tied together and I can select what I want to have running without the entire system involved. Those plug in cables are very nice but what I have is simpler and easier for me to understand if I should need to start trouble shooting, Steve.