CD 25 Lazarette Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD 25 Lazarette Cover

Post by casampson »

So here are a couple of pictures of the cover to the lazarette on my CD 25. It has obviously been modified. I don't need it to be so high now because the Tohatsu 6 hp I use should fit without a modification, and I really don't like the way it looks. However this modified cover looks professionally done, possibly even done at the factory. Should I replace it? I was thinking of doing something out of teak. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pete faga

Re: CD 25 Lazarette Cover

Post by pete faga »

Good morning Chris
Looks original to me.
Teak hatch would be a great winter project!
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

My thought is that if it is functionally workable and doesn't look too bad, it's not worth changing.
It looks like an "extender" apron was added to the cover for extra height. It could actually be
a positive selling point to a buyer. If you figure it's worth it, you could glue teak strips onto the top to dress it up.
Good luck - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

When I put in the tohatsu sailpro, it really needs the hatch to be raised--just like in the photos. Trade?
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Leave it as is and cover it with mahogany

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/t ... aveler.jpg
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

If it ain’t broke....
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

If it’s neither a thing of beauty nor brings you joy nor serves a purpose, and you are up for the work, absolutely change it. Why have something on your boat that you don’t enjoy looking at?

It’s not a difficult project. It’s not expensive to make one you like. You are not harming the boat. You will learn some new skills. Make another one you like. You can even keep this one for a spare to accommodate a bigger engine (gasp) for the next owner.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

John Stone wrote:If it’s neither a thing of beauty nor brings you joy nor serves a purpose, and you are up for the work, absolutely change it. Why have something on your boat that you don’t enjoy looking at?

It’s not a difficult project. It’s not expensive to make one you like. You are not harming the boat. You will learn some new skills. Make another one you like. You can even keep this one for a spare to accommodate a bigger engine (gasp) for the next owner.
So very well spoken, John. L-RD Bless, Keep, Shine. . .
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

You could swap the pvc dorades for brass or chrome!
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

Hi Chris,

My own lazarette cover is completely delaminated and I have to either make a new (beautiful) one from teak or find an old one that fits. If you have decided to replace this with something nicer, I would buy it off you. My Yamaha needs the few extra inches to clear the engine housing. Let me know what you decided and thanks.

Damian

ps. I do like both philosophies. The why fix it if it ain't broken one and the why not replace it if it will make you happy to look at one. Both seem to have their place.
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY