Moving engine controls

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jaguarv12

Moving engine controls

Post by jaguarv12 »

Recently acquired a 31 cutter which someone decided to move the engine control panel from the side of the cockpit ( replaced with a cockpit shower) to a teak box on the pedestal guard. Now I need to put it back where it belongs.
If any one could supply photos of the original installation inside and out, my job fabricating a replacement would be made a lot easier.
I'm sure a lot of boats are currently on the hard, so my request may have to wait for spring.
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Laume

Re: Moving engine controls

Post by Steve Laume »

Congratulations on your new boat.

I am not sure you "need" to move the engine panel but am wondering why you want to. If it is a good installation, then the pedestal seems like a decent place for the panel. Having the thing down in the cockpit foot well is kind of a PIA. It is hard to reach and to see as well as being in a location where it will be flooded if you take a significant amount of water into the cockpit. I would not bother to move my panel but if it was up there and it wasn't interfering with something else I planed to mount there, I would keep it where it is. It will be far easier to start the engine and you are much more likely to keep an eye on your gauges.

I would recommend you sail the boat for a season before changing anything that isn't broke. When I first got my boat, there were things I thought I wanted to do and others I never originally considered. Giving it some time will sort out what is important and worthy of installation or change, Steve.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Amen to everything Steve said. I would love to have the engine guages and switches up where I can see them. One
good thing to have in any case is a binnacle/wheel cover to protect the area when you're not saiing. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

If anything consider changing from a teak box to a traditional display console.

V/r

Pete
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Since you have a good wooden base to work with, you might consider adding some easily accessible stowage to it. Although Raven still has her engine control panel, hidden at my feet, when I am at the wheel, I do have some other things readily accessible at the binnacle. Water and binoculars are always good to have where you can easily get to them. My coffee mug fits in there as well.

The best reason to question the engine panel location on your boat would be if it has any effect on the compass. It also creates more bright work to maintain, Steve.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... er#p159802