Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Post by John Stone »

The latest post on the sail from Jost Van Dyke to St Thomas. A friend, I served with in the Marines, came down for a week of Sailing on the Far Reach. Currently anchored in Francis Bay, St John, USVI. Terrific beat from St Thomas east around Dog Island and to the north side of St John. I’ll report on this weeks sailing soon.

https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1340
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Water day. Hauled 65 gallons over two days.

Hauled 35 gallons (280 lbs) for the second load to top off the tanks. 4/10 of a mile from the water point to the Far Reach across a major cruise liner channel. 15-20 kts cross wind. 230 strokes and 12 minutes of steady but not hard rowing. The 9’ Fatty Knees is a powerful rowing dinghy.

There is more to this story. But you’ll have to wait to hear it. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Below are the details on how we take on water on the FR. I’ll write soon about the Sweet Pea and how she has been sullied by the uninformed. It’s a shameful turn of events that has me gritting my teeth. Someone let me know if the link does not work.

https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... on-water/
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

The link did not work for me.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

John Stone wrote:Capt Hook. Try this. Let me know.

https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... -on-water/
That worked. Thanks.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Been tackling boat projects each day. Cleaned some stainless, the little that I have. All the bronze just looks great. But the SS cries out constantly for attention.

A friend loaned me his mooring. It’s a fore and aft mooring (a bow and stern line). I dove it three times before I moved onto it. I checked the chain and shackles. I looked over the helix screw heads. I added seizing wire to a couple shackles below the ball.

There is a chunk of coral about three feet below the surface off to the starboard side, thus the stern line. He has been on it for 10 years with no problem but the FR is six feet longer. When he experienced a strong west wind (not common here in the winter) he let the stern line go and his keel missed the coral as the boat swung around to the wind. But I think because we are longer below the waterline we might not miss that coral head. So, I will have to drop off as I’m just not comfortable with all the “what if” scenarios.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looking good John. I wouldn’t remain on that mooring either. Your ground tackle is a known entity and when there’s a battle between coral and fiberglass the coral always wins.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The devastation here from Irma is as stunning as you might imagine. The cleanup has been massive. I have been told hundreds of sunk boats were craned on to barges and hauled off for disposal. Some, were able to be refloated. Most of those were very damaged. Here in Elephant Bay, there are maybe a dozen afloat that need a lot of time and money to be made whole again.

I like to row Sweet Pea through the anchorage in the morning. Some of the wounded boats seem to call out to me. “Come over here stranger. I know I look pretty bad right now but once upon a time, I was a looker...a magic carpet. I turned dreams into adventure.”

I noticed this small pocket cruiser the other day. Look at that sheer line. Very pretty. I estimate her to be 25-28’. I don’t recognize her make. She looks to have been custom built...maybe from a bare hull. The cabin top is a little big but I’m sure it was done to give her more room below. There is a nice bulwark that helps conceal the height of the cabin top a little bit. She has a long boomkin and bowsprit. I bet she had a lot of sail area and could move very well even in a zephyr of wind. There is an outboard in the transom well...like the CD25. There is the remnant of a hard dodger over the companionway hatch. The owner must have had the bug bad. I can imagine she was a real labor of love. He definitely had his eye on the distant horizon. I wonder where she sailed. I imagine the pleasure she must have provided her captain at one time. I wonder if she will ever again see the open sea....
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

There is no end to the interesting boats to see here. Samana is a steel clipper bowed ketch. She was damaged in Irma. Lost her bowsprit and the mizzenmast. Starboard bow is dented in too. Was told she sold for $1. I saw her last when I sailed the FR here theee years ago. She looked great then. I was coming back down wind from St John and she was beating the opposite direction. We crossed wakes. She had a long bow sprit and looked in excellent shape. I like the way the center cockpit sits low in the wast, vice up high like so many CC boats do. It really caught my eye when I first saw her. A local guy purchased her often Irma but I am told he does not have much in the way of funds to rebuild her. Interesting boat though. I hope she makes it.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Reminiscent of Irving Johnson’s Yankee which also had a central cockpit. Many yachts today have had the romance designed out of them.
Hope you are enjoying your Caribbean winter. It’s 2 degrees at this moment. We have been blessed with a relatively mild winter to date so I shouldn’t complain too much. The only positive aspect of this weather is that it makes me appreciate the coming spring all that much more.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim. I remember reading about Yankee as a kid. Irving and Electra Johnson used to take young people on as crew for their voyages in the late 1950s and early 60s to exotic destinations. I remember reading about them in National Geographic. I think they found the anchor to the HMS Bounty at Pitcarin Island. I remember her with a square sail on her fore-mast. Wasn’t she lost on a reef by a later owner?

And so it is time to tell the rest of the story about the latest turn of events for brave little Sweet Pea.

Click here for the details. https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1369
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John S.:

I am no expert on marinas or protocol or accepted procedures, etc., but that rule seems pretty asinine. I would think the opposite would be the marina's goal - you can use a motor if you must but we would prefer you row. Less noise, less pollution, less danger of unintended "bumper car" incidents, etc.

I wonder if perhaps sitting down with the owner over a beer and discussing the merits of rowing versus a motor might persuade him/her to soften their requirement of "no rowing". It's possible the dock master never took the time to talk with the owner and simply told you "he said NO".
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

The problem with common sense is, it ain't all that common.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The last few days have been simple living at a relaxed slow pace. I worked on a few minor boat projects. Did a little grocery shopping and some laundry. I took Sweet Pea out for a late afternoon sail through the anchorage. I also moved the Far Reach onto a different mooring—more about that in the next post.

I continue to meet interesting people and on most days get in the water for some swimming and snorkeling. I spent a several hours the other day with a couple that have been “down island” the last few years. They went over my guide books and charts with me pointing out some great spots to visit...and a few places to avoid.

Because the Far Reach is so simple and has no complicated systems the boatwork is mostly pretty easy—some touch up painting to the bulwarks, greasing turnbuckles, varnishing the bowsprit and coamings every three months, and daily cleaning. I have found a small amount of friction in my Cape Horn Windvane so I will take it apart and inspect it closely in the next week or so.

Yesterday and today we have had and continue to have some unsettled weather. But, the trades are starting to return after about five days of going fairly light. A long forecasted 10’-11’ north swell is supposed to arrive tonight making anchorages and beaches exposed to the north very rolly and potentially dangerous. That will keep a lot of boats at anchor for about 36-48 hours till it passes and settles down.

I spent a little time the other day inspecting the rigging. It looks great nearly four years after we launched the Far Reach and after three major offshore passages. The bronze has a beautiful patina. I have been especially happy with the new 30” tall brass stanchions and bronze top fittings I purchased from Port Townsend Foundry back in October.

I feel rested and relaxed. I have noticed my eyes are not bloodshot anymore. For those that can make it work, and are inclined to do so, this is a great way to live your life.