Want to Interview Former Cape Dory Staff & Mgrs for Article

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MHBsailor

Want to Interview Former Cape Dory Staff & Mgrs for Article

Post by MHBsailor »

Hello to fellow Southern New England locals. A friend and I are part-time sailing writers and are thinking about writing an article on the former Cape Dory factory operations. We would like to get in touch with local "old time" CD employees and managers, some of whom we've heard still live in the area. If any you you know former CD employees or managers, would you please ask them if they would be willing to be interviewed for this piece, and if so I can provide our contact info via PM. Thank you!

JD
MHB Sailor
steve poulin

Re: Want to Interview Former Cape Dory Staff & Mgrs for Arti

Post by steve poulin »

Peter Hunt, a marine surveyor who actually performed my survey last year, worked for CD back in the day. My guess is he'd enjoy talking with you.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Will Keene at Edson is someone you should talk to.

So is Dave Perry who spoke at the CDSOA 20th Anniversary Meeting.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

When Andy Vavolotis closed the Cape Dory Yachts facility in Taunton, MA, he still operated the Georgetown, ME facility -- Robinhood Marine Center. RMC was sold to Derecktor Shipyards in 2016. Most of the folks that worked at Taunton then moved and worked at Robinhood so you should probably also try talking to Andy himself.

You can try contacting Dave Perry via this message board, he is a user. You can send him a PM by using this link:
http://www.capedory.org/board/ucp.php?i ... ose&u=6455

Good luck in your search,
Cathy Monaghan
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hunter Scott of Pocasset, MA, also used to work for Cape Dory Yachts. I believe he is now operating a custom kitchen and cabinetry business. I'm not sure how to contact him, but you could try Google.

--Joe

PS, I was a sailing writer ... now retired. Good luck!
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Gordon Reed as well.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I second Bob O.'s recommendation of talking with Dave Perry. He has a wealth of "institutional knowledge" about Cape Dory sailboats, etc. Several years ago I talked with Dave about some matter involving my S/V Bali Ha'i. He was very helpful and patient. He also exchanged several emails with me. A very, very pleasant experience.

Good luck :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Thanks everyone. I swapped emails with Peter Hunt. I've spoken with Gordon Reed at Robinhood last year about a CD he had in inventory at the time, and he said that Andy still stops by from time-to-time. I will give him another ring. Happy to reach out to Dave Perry - anyone happen to know his website these days (I get a lot of results when googling)?
MHB Sailor
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

NarragansettSailor wrote:Thanks everyone. I swapped emails with Peter Hunt. I've spoken with Gordon Reed at Robinhood last year about a CD he had in inventory at the time, and he said that Andy still stops by from time-to-time. I will give him another ring. Happy to reach out to Dave Perry - anyone happen to know his website these days (I get a lot of results when googling)?
Dave Perry is on Facebook, you can try reaching him that way:

https://www.facebook.com/david.perry.967422
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
RLW

Post by RLW »

Dave Cabral worked for CD and suggested to me that he had a hand in building the 1978 CD 28 that I had for many years. When I knew him he was the yard manager at Brewer Sakonnet Marina in Portsmouth, RI. He left there a few years ago, and at the time he lived in Little Compton, RI. The guys at the yard may know how to reach him. Hope this helps!
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI