Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Paul D.

Re: Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Post by Paul D. »

Awesome, and concise, trip description John.

I hear you re looking aft in big waves. Carl Alberg knew, he just knew, the right amount of buoyancy needed in stern design. There have been a few times at sea where I've cowered in the cockpit just waiting for the wave I was looking up at to break right down on us, but the stern always rises. And that's a good feeling. Taking one's breath away ain't in it!

Glad you had an adventurous trip and are getting the blissful sleep you need at the end of a job well done.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Elbloch

Post by Elbloch »

That sounds like a good trip indeed.
I did the same route, Beaufort to Jost van dyke last month on a Lagoon 410, but with little wind and that mostly on the nose. We had a few challenges including losing the seagull striker, bad fuel and an engine fire, but all met and dealt with. Nothing like 10 or 12- or 17!- days offshore to make one appreciate the vast liquid between. In the words of captain Ron "if it is gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there".
We met numerous Irma survivors who all talked about the terror of listening to 180 mph winds, gusting to 240 and higher. Lots and lots of catastrophic damage when one looks around, truly amazing that there was not more loss of life. The devastating impact on boats was all too evident, a year plus after the event, the boatyard on Virgin Gorda was an eye opener. A dozen or so hulls still on the beach in Trellis bay, still lots of salvage taking place, folks living in tents, too many blue tarp roofs. The working stiffs suffered some of the greatest loss and disruption of course.
All said, the BVI's will always be a very special place, the reefs looked pretty good, the painkillers just as yummy as ever. Enjoy, smooth sailing.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Anchored Great Harbor, JVD, BVI

Hi Eveyone. Have written a full trip report but need to capture some photos from the GOPRO and have not had a chance. Soon.

Doing a little boat maintenance. Daily swim. Meeting other sailors. Doing some volunteer work for my friend Ali Baba at his beach front restaurant and cottages.

Christmas pageant last night. Local primary school kids singing carols then a local band jamming.

Temp and breeze are perfect for sleeping and general hanging out on the hook. Water temp must be around 82°’ish. It’s a tough gig but somebody has to do it.

Headed over to St Thomas in a couple days.

MTF.

John
SV Far Reach
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Morning Cape Dorians. Latest post with all the details of the passage.

https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... ed-voyage/

If you enjoyed the post, feel free to comment and share. With our upcoming article in BOATUS it would be great to get more exposure for our wonderful Cape Dory boats.

Some statistics from the log book:
- I sailed 1,338 nautical miles in 12 days.
- I reefed 11 times (reduced sail),
- I made 21 sail changes (raised or lowered the sails).
- I was becalmed twice for a total of about 20 hours. Both times at night.
- I saw seven ships
- I tacked five times and gybed three times.

Best to all.

Note: I edited this entry and inserted the correct link. Should work now. Or scroll down to Jim’s comment which also has a working link.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Dec 25th, '18, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Your hyperlink isn’t working but this should work https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com

Just finished reading your article. Good work! It’s nice when all that prep results in zero incidents at sea.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

I greatly enjoyed the link to your site.

What a ride.

Enjoy your stay, you've earned it.

Here's to you and your boat.

Gary
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Some tough weather here for next few days. 30 gusting 40. Rain squalls. Very unsettled. Uneasy times in a crowed anchorage. Poor holding ground begins to reveal itself. Finally had to pick up a mooring. Live to fight another day. Head to St Thomas in a few days when the weather settles a bit.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

More details of my stay at Jost Van Dyke and the saga of the dragging anchor.

https://farreachvoyages.wordpress.com/2 ... #more-1322
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Slipped out of Jost Van Dyke early on 30 Dec. The anchorage was already getting crowded. A 62’ private charter cat anchored way too close. We both put fenders out. Prepped the Far Reach the night before—dinghy hauled up and inverterd on her chocks. Sail cover stripped off. Blocks installed. Sheets run. Ready to go. Underway 0730. Sailed across the channel in a freshening breeze. Took it easy with double reefed main and stays’l. Reached past Thatch Island and into The Narrows. Close reached past St John. Decided not to take the short cut through the “Cut” on west side of James Island as I would lose my wind and there was a lot of ferry boat traffic. So I beat out into the Atlantic feeling the big rollers under my feet, adding 90 min to the trip, and turned west past Dog Island leaving the “Frenchman Hat” to port. Easy run down the coast of St Thomas in 20-25 kt easterly. Reached up East Gregerie Channel gybed and ran down West Gregerie Channel. Anchored in 14’ of water on a grassy bottom on west side of Water Island opposite Crown Bay Marina. Launched Sweet Pea and rowed ashore. Took the Safari to customs and cleared-in without issue. Met some interesting folks and got reconnected with several old friends. Life is good.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice update John. Those charter boats have a habit of invading your personal space and the serenity of your surroundings.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

John,
Thanks for the update and the beautiful pictures!
Jeff
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

John, your caribbean adventures give me a vicarious treat. Good luck! - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Happy to share Jeff. Thanks for the kind words.

Jim, well BVI is a funny place. It’s gorgeous, sure. But it’s for charter boats these days. Most folks are very nice. But they are focused on their group/family for the week they are in the BVI. They don’t really want to engage your. A few exceptions of course. But many of them don’t know what they are doing. Causes cruisers some unwanted anxiety. Case in point: I was determined to get out of JVD before New Years due to the lack of boat handling/anchoring skills in the harbor that loads up with boats for the occasion. And I did. Some nice folks I met there, cruising in their 40 footer, texted me this morning. Got hit last night by a big Sunsail cat that dragged down on them even though the couple had warned the charter cat the ground was bad. Some people just won’t listen. That’s why I was happy to depart.

It’s still a great place and Gayle and I will go back when she gets here later in the month. But you really have to be vigilant and protect yourself and your boat.

More to follow.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hey Jean. Your post came in after I responded to Jeff and Jim. Glad you find the posts worth your time. How is your boat coming along? Are you frozen in yet?