Torqeedo 1003 Travel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Torqeedo 1003 Travel

Post by drysuit2 »

It looks like it’s been awhile since someone talked about the practicality of using a Torqeedo on their heavier CD.

I still have the CD26, and sail from a mooring. I understand the recommendation for a 5,300 pound boat is the larger Torqeedo cruise 2.0 with a big battery bank…but
A.- I can’t charge a battery bank well out on a mooring. And
B.- I want an outboard I can pull in and out of the lazarette, and outboard well easily.
C.- The constantly sitting in the water thing literally destroyed my 3 year old Merc 6HP. I am looking for something light I will store in the Lazerette, and use maybe twice a season.

So…
I’m seriously considering the 1003 Travel. Even though it’s recommended for boats up to 3,000 lbs; I figure the only time I’ll ever actually use it is when there is no wind at all.

Has anyone tried this on a CD 25 or 26?
Is there enough power to push me around at 3 HP?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Frank
casampson

Re: Torqeedo 1003 Travel

Post by casampson »

I like the idea of using an electric motor, but I don't think 3 hp is enough for a Cape Dory 25, let alone a 26. I have a 6 hp Tohatsu serving my CD 25 and, although it has never let me down (well, it did once, briefly), in the back of my mind I know there will come a time when I will want more horsepower.

Chris
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I did a search here on this topic a while (and probably a few generations of electric OB's) ago, and if memory serves someone had one on a Ty (electric only fresh water lake if memory serves).
The cost bar to just try it out is pretty high. Personally, I almost never need to run my Tohatsu 6 SP at more than 1/2 throttle and 90% of the time 1/3 does the job.
Running those electric OBs at full load, which you'd probably be doing on a 26, would probably significantly limit your range.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Not personal experience, just an opinion, but if you TRULY will only use it for short distances when becalmed, you will probably find that the Torqeedo will move the boat just fine. After all, the Pardeys moved Taleisin at its 17,800 lb. cruising displacement with a sculling oar that certainly put much less horsepower into the water than a Torqeedo 1003. With the battery removed the Torqeedo is much lighter than virtually any gasoline outboard available, so it should be much easier to install and remove from your outboard well.

Just don't ever plan to use it as an escape plan for bad weather, or to get yourself back when you are becalmed 25 miles from your mooring.

One thing I have observed that many boaters have trouble with is being honest with themselves about what they will really do with their boat. People buy 40 foot blue water cruisers and only ever go daysaililng, or worse, just sit at the dock and think about going sailing.

So if there is a lurking thought in the back of your mind that one day you will want to use the outboard to push yourself upwind when you get caught out in snotty weather and decide you just want to power home instead of beating upwind, or if you think you may find yourself riding an afternoon sea breeze for four hours only to be becalmed 25 miles from home and expect to motor all the way back to the marina, then the Torqeedo probably isn't for you.

I have a Typhoon and I sail in two places: in the summer I am in Maine, and the boat is on a mooring. I don't even have a motor on board. On the rare days I am becalmed and absolutely have to get back sooner than drifting and waiting for wind allows, I paddle. It works fine and I am happy with the arrangement. During the winter I keep the boat in a marina in Florida and have to motor out a narrow channel, usually straight upwind, with heavy commercial barge traffic. I use a 6HP gasoline outboard always mounted on the stern and wouldn't have it any other way.

Pick the best tool for the job you are really going to do and you will be happy with the solution.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

drysuit2 wrote:It looks like it’s been awhile since someone talked about the practicality of using a Torqeedo on their heavier CD.

I still have the CD26, and sail from a mooring. I understand the recommendation for a 5,300 pound boat is the larger Torqeedo cruise 2.0 with a big battery bank…but
A.- I can’t charge a battery bank well out on a mooring. And
B.- I want an outboard I can pull in and out of the lazarette, and outboard well easily.
C.- The constantly sitting in the water thing literally destroyed my 3 year old Merc 6HP. I am looking for something light I will store in the Lazerette, and use maybe twice a season.

So…
I’m seriously considering the 1003 Travel. Even though it’s recommended for boats up to 3,000 lbs; I figure the only time I’ll ever actually use it is when there is no wind at all.

Has anyone tried this on a CD 25 or 26?
Is there enough power to push me around at 3 HP?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Frank
I have used a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 for the past several years while on a mooring on my Capri 22. I started with a 100 watt solar panel on the stern pulpit charging four GC2 batteries for the required 24 vdc. Recently changed to a 160 watt solar panel and two 12 vdc lithium batteries saving me 200 lbs.

Yes, the panel will keep the batteries fully charged if using the electric motor for maneuvering through the mooring fields, etc. I use mine on weekends and Wednesdays. The batteries have always been at full power. There have been a few times I motored 6 miles at 3/4 speed and another 12 miles at 1/2 speed in one evening. The batteries were back to full in a couple of days.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have no experience with with Lehr - propane powered obs, but I am seeing a few around here (MA) as auxillaries. Website: https://golehr.com/. A friend has one as a backup on his power boat - says he gets 45 mins out of a screw on "camper" can of propane. No clue as to weight to power ratio.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)