"Leoma" steering

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

"Leoma" steering

Post by JD-MDR »

I'm getting excited about getting a windvane. The tides and weather was kinda rough over the holiday and it sure would have been nice. Stone's doc on the Cape Horn vane is awesome and I see how simple it is and to install. Now I see how they have evolved from the Aries to the Monitor and now I think the Cape Horn is the simplest.. Here are some old photos of my steering and cockpit with the original paint(yuk). I did move that engine stop cable inside with the instrument panel. I put the shore power inlet in its place. I'm glad I did that but the instrument panel is still just tacked up. I don't want all the lines running all over the cockpit and I have the worm drive steering. Someone sent me the photo of (Michael and Toni s/v" Kayla") of how a sprocket was attached to the worm shaft under the sole. I will check next weekend to find out if I can get the quadrant under there. Hopefully someone has some ideas how I can hook it up.Thanks. I'm adding a photo of the brass half ovals I got from online metals. I had to round the ends and drill the holes. I'll put them on the toerails at the midship cleats with bedding compound this week . Thanks everybody for helping.
Attachments
P_20181126_092507_SRES.jpg
P_20181126_092507_SRES.jpg (427.39 KiB) Viewed 219 times
autopliot.jpg
autopliot.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 227 times
IMG_20171006_173713.jpg
IMG_20171006_173713.jpg (934.35 KiB) Viewed 227 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
hilbert

Re: "Leoma" steering

Post by hilbert »

John, what size screws are you using with the half oval bars? Please post a picture when installed.
Frenchy

Re: "Leoma" steering

Post by Frenchy »

I know little about wind vanes, but a tiny bit about the worm steering system, you have, J.D. It is a very
powerful system, but has some friction and also a bit more "distance" lock to lock than most. I would be careful
choosing a wind vane, as not all are compatable with worm gear steering. Hopefully, someone on the board will
give you advice. Good luck, Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts