Plugged Scuppers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dave and Kathy

Plugged Scuppers

Post by Dave and Kathy »

Grayce Avery, our CD28, had very sluggish cockpit scuppers toward the end of summer. It was easy to get 1 - 2” of standing water in the cockpit after a washdown. I tried a flush on each scupper with the hose, but this seemed to pack it in worse. Certainly it did not help. The bend in the hose, first outboard and then downward, prevented the use of a tool to break things up. After a few failed attempts, I found this at our local Home Depot. It’s called a “Johnny Jolter” and made for plugged toilets.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EgCA5FBaWkQXM5gb6

What’s nice is that the ‘business end’ is a close match to the scupper fitting.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2osxwrVmgpp116tc6

I took a suction stroke first, with sea cock closed, and emptied it into a bucket. Then I opened the seacock and took a suction stroke followed by an exhaust (down) stroke. Problem solved! Tool now has a permanent home onboard.
Dave and Kathy
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Plugged Scuppers

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dave:

I have used a metal clothes hangar with success. You want to bend the "business end" of the hangar back on itself and wrap with a little tape to prevent the "up and down" action on the hangar from poking hole(s) in the rubber scupper drain hoses.

A few "up and down" strokes with the hangar, a good flush with the hose, a few more "up and down" strokes, etc. and the hoses should be unclogged. The standard metal hangar is flexible enough to work through bends in the hose.

Admittedly, my area may have less leaves, etc. than your sailing area but it should still work.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

Use a plunger !
Dave and Kathy

Post by Dave and Kathy »

Plunger did not work because the scupper is so close in the corner that you can't get a seal - tried that.
Dave and Kathy
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Metal clothes hangar :!: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

Dave and Kathy wrote:Plunger did not work because the scupper is so close in the corner that you can't get a seal - tried that.
ok. how about a shop vac on blow...
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Was talking to a fellow sailor this afternoon who had a similar problem. He cleared it with a power washer inserted down the scupper. Interesting technique.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

I have found the easiest way to clear scuppers with the boat in the water is with a hand bilge pump and suck the stuff out rather than compacting it as coat hangers and plungers can do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IV8PSS/re ... 83676&sr=1
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
csam57

Post by csam57 »

Probably the safest approach would be to blow pressurized water or air up through the thru-hull rather than down through the scupper. Not so easily done if the boat is in the water, of course.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have found that the coat hanger routine is not that productive but along the same line a piece of electricians fish tape is perfect. It is stiff enough and bendy enough to do the job on land or sea. A short piece will do.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

We use one of the plastic drain cleaners on the boat and in both our homes. The look like a long, narrow sawfish
bill with little plastic barbs on it. Cost a few dollars at the home centers in. We even taped two together to clear the head sink drain and the fluid drain from our composting head.

Cheers!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Metal clothes hangar :!: :D As I said in a prior post just make sure you bend the "business end" of the hangar back on itself in sort of a circle and wrap with a little tape to prevent the "up and down" action on the hangar from poking hole(s) in the rubber scupper drain hoses.

It works very much like Dick K.'s electrician's fish tape but does not cost any money, assuming you have extra clothes hangars hanging around the house and the "business end" bent back on itself in a sort of circle acts as a small "pusher" to push the leaves, etc. out of the scupper hoses. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097