CD10 motor mount

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Villamil

CD10 motor mount

Post by Dick Villamil »

Has anybody installed a motor mount on their CD 10? I have the double hull model and am thinking of installing a motor mount for a 2.5 hp motor. Does anyone have experience with this boat and a motor? It rows so easily it is hard to believe that I want to do this but ......it might be good for trolling or for the grand kids to have fun with.
Steve Laume

Re: CD10 motor mount

Post by Steve Laume »

I have a early CD-10 with no liner. I have always, just clamped the outboard onto the transom and motored away.

I have not sailed the boat very much but love to row. A set of Shaw and Tenny spoon blades make the boat come alive. I did find that adding riser blocks for the oar locks helped a good bit with the angle and keeps the oars from rubbing the outer gunnels.

Those little boats are joy to row but there are times, when you just want to get some place that is very far or a bit more quickly, when a motor is nice, Steve.
2manyboats

Re: CD10 motor mount

Post by 2manyboats »

I know this is a very dated thread, but for the information databank I submit my $.02

Im not sure if the original post was thinking of one of those common movable motor mounts..., rather than just clamping an outboard on the transom... The mount would add a LOAD of stress on the transom by placing the outboard farther aft. Don't do that!
I have 2 CD10s: One with liner and one without. We use the non liner model for a tender and just clamp a 3HP outboard (off-center) on it. I added a piece of teak to the inside of the transom to add thickness( the transom is too thin for the outboard clamps, and to take the inevitable screw down scars from mounting/ unmounting the motor. It motors fine with a few considerations. Get a tiller handle extension if you wish to travel alone since you will place too much weight aft if alone. With another person onboard and forward, it balances nicely. We have had 4 adults onboard( in a pinch). You will have to watch the water coming up the centerboard trunk if you motor too fast.

It is a sweet boat and I would buy another if I could get away with it... Kind of like Golden Retrievers..
Or I would sell one or both , for the right price.
SV Time Machine, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
:D