Reefing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s2sailorlis

Reefing

Post by s2sailorlis »

Ok nothing to with weed...;)

Yesterday took the wife out for her first sail in my CD22. What was supposed to be a 5-10 knot day was a 15-20 knot day with surprisingly choppy waters for Long Island Sound based upon SW winds.

I was reefed with not much jib furled. Was mostly in control but twice had the rail below water to the point of the side deck completely under water and some water, not much coming into cockpit from under the team back rest. Surprised I was over that far and the wife wasn’t concerned.

Never felt concerned myself just surprised that a 20knot gust would put me over that much...

Also learned how wet the boat can be!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Gary H

Re: Reefing

Post by Gary H »

What size Genny to you have? My 22D has a 130 Genny. A 20 knot sudden gust will bury the rail with both sails reefed.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I’ve got a 130 as well. I was reefed at probably...wild guess...equivalent of a 70% job.

I’ve had the rail buried before but not to the point where the entire side deck was under water with water flowing into the cockpit. I will say she stiffened up nicely!
Gary H wrote:What size Genny to you have? My 22D has a 130 Genny. A 20 knot sudden gust will bury the rail with both sails reefed.

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

s2sailorlis wrote:. . . Was mostly in control but twice had the rail below water to the point of the side deck completely under water and some water, not much coming into cockpit from under the team back rest. . . .
One of our first sails on our CD27 was very similar to that. It was then that I noticed that there was no caulking between the deck and the teak backrest. I caulked that joint with Lifecaulk and our backsides have stayed dry ever since. :idea:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Alberg designs can be initially tender. Once you get to a certain point (say, the rail in the water), they tend to stiffen up. Like anything in boats it is a trade-off. The wineglass shaped hull and narrowish beam translates to some tenderness, but in return you get unparalleled sea kindliness. When taking out newbies I always give them the heeling speech which usually calms their natural apprehension. I find that reefing around 15-20 (depending on gusts versus steady) actually makes the boat faster since you are not spilling wind. You'll develop your own sweet spot for reefing. Congrats on your 22!!
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

s2sailorlis wrote:Ok nothing to with weed...;)
Surprised I was over that far and the wife wasn’t concerned.
I think we're overlooking the important part of this story.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

This!

My wife's maiden voyage on my 25D was a white-knuckler from Boothbay to Harpswell, into 20kt winds and 4-6 feet seas. Been single-handed ever since!

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Exactly!
csoule13 wrote:
s2sailorlis wrote:Ok nothing to with weed...;)
Surprised I was over that far and the wife wasn’t concerned.