Last Core Repair

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hilbert

Last Core Repair

Post by hilbert »

This was the last area that pegged the moisture meter.
I drilled out a sample and the balsa felt slightly damp and certainly not wet. There was no delamination and it was a struggle to pull the deck away from the balsa.
I know that I should have ignored it (dumb dumb dumb), but I could't bring myself to just paint over it.

Area of about 1 ft2.

Core replaced with closed cell foam.

Covered with a few layers of 1708 biaxial cloth.

Epoxy and micro balloons sanded smooth.

First coat of paint.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Last Core Repair

Post by John Stone »

Excellent work. You have accomplished something that intimidates so many people. It’s a straight forward and very doable project. I wish more people would do these things. They don’t realize they can/will do a better job than most boatyards and save a fortune in the process. Plus it’s a serious confidence builder for all kinds of other projects.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

John Stone wrote:Excellent work. You have accomplished something that intimidates so many people. It’s a straight forward and very doable project. I wish more people would do these things. They don’t realize they can/will do a better job than most boatyards and save a fortune in the process. Plus it’s a serious confidence builder for all kinds of other projects.
*waves hi*

I'm tentatively planning on recoring part of the cockpit sole over the winter, so this fits me to a T. Expect many stupid questions, as it'll be first foray at epoxy and fiberglass.

Thanks for the photos, Hilbert, it's encouraging to see this as a low drama affair.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

csoule13, my first foray at epoxy and fiberglass was recoring the cockpit sole.
I guess I jumped in at the deep end, but it is not as intimidating as it might appear.
Lots of helpful information online, the people on this forum are a great resource and I would be happy to answer any questions that I can.

hilbert

Post by hilbert »

I finished working on the cabin top with a final coat of paint and then kiwi grip yesterday.
The weather turned overnight and it is likely that this is the end of any significant work on the exterior of the boat for this season.