Anchor light suggestions?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Anchor light suggestions?

Post by Neil Gordon »

John Stone wrote:The cord on my Davis Marine LED anchor light is 15’ long.
I plug mine into the cockpit, lead it through the dodger window and hoist it on a flag halyard. It goes about 2/3 to the spreader, which is more than enough.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

I just pull an LED camp lantern (3 c cells) up my signal flag runners. Works great, lights the deck up just a little too. Not sure if its CG legal, but it looks just as bright as the masthead lights I see on other boats - so I think I am probably good.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I'd like to get a used kerosene anchor light. Anyone know a good source ?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have two kerosene anchor lights. Both are very good.

Before I go further it is important to note that a key component to reliable non smoke/smelly operations from kerosense lights (anchor, interior, navigation) is the kind of fuel you use. Do not use “lamp oil” or DOT kerosene with dye. Do not use mineral spirits. I have tried various fuels. All failed. K1 clear will not smoke (if you trim your wicks properly and preheat the lamp before putting the chimney in place). Remember, I use oil anchor light, interior lights, and navigation lights. All use the same fuel. I also run the same kero through my refleks danish heater. I purchase it in a five gallon container for about $35. There may be some other fuel that works to—I don’t claim to be the burning bush on lamp fuel—but I have found this fuel to work exceptionally well. My friend Ben Zartman and I both use oil lamps extensively (he use them for navigation too) and have come to the same conclusion.

A long time ago I purchased a den haan anchor light. It has a fresnel lens. It also has an internal chimney, which is key to keeping the light burning when the wind is up. It uses a 6mm round wick. For a little wick it is very bright. Will burn for about 40 hours. This light is my work horse. But, the fuel tank is stamped and has seams. The seams have split a couple times and I soldered them closed. It was a satisfactory repair. Still working hard. Puts out a warm colored light. Easy to find the Far Reach from among the cold white LED anchor lights in a crowded anchorage.

I also have an old perko. It also has a fresnel lens. It came without a chimney. I added one by purchasing a new burner and chimney. It uses a flat wick. Super bright. But I am not 100 percent happy with my modification so far and need to play with it a bit more before I pronounce it fit for duty.

You can pick up the den haan new through R&W Rope. I found the perko on eBay after watching for about a year. I think I paid about $75 for it.

I’ll post some pics showing the lights in action.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Here's mine when I bought it.
It's 14" and serves me well.
You're right about KI.

http://www.amsnautical.com/images/lante ... %20LRG.jpg
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Tiara's Light small.jpg
I have an anchor light on the mast, but I've been using this hanging LED light on Tiara lately. It runs on AAA batteries, and has a high/low setting. They're cheap as beans on Amazon & work great.

It makes a nice cockpit light too!

John Ring
CD36 Tiara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

We have 2 anchor lights... a primary and a back up.
For our primary, we use an old Guest that I refurbed with an LED bulb and a new toggle switch and wiring.
Our back up is an oil lantern. Both are hauled up with the staysail halyard, with a down haul, of course.
Last week we were out and the Guest would not light. No problem. We went with the back up oil lantern. I think our lantern is a "Little Giant."

Fair winds,
Bob Ohler
CD30B
Aloha Spirit
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit