Leaking bronze ports?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

AMcC

Leaking bronze ports?

Post by AMcC »

Any tips on eliminating leaking from my bronze ports (25D)? Silicone spray? A new gasket kit? My port cushion keeps getting wet when I'm away from the boat, and I'm having a mildew issue (as a result, I think). The ports are the biggest culprit so far...
-Alec
bottomscraper

Re: Leaking bronze ports?

Post by bottomscraper »

Silicone grease, a thin coat all around works wonders. It doesn't take much.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

If you are sure it’s leaking from around the gasket then you can try Rich’s suggestion. But if the gaskets are hard I recommend you plan to install new gaskets. Spartan marine sells them. They used to be about $10 each. Don’t know what they cost now. They are very effective. But if the leak is coming from under the flange then you have to remove the exterior trim ring and rebed them. If that is what’s happening let us know. There are some important considerations if you must remove the trim rings.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I replaced the gaskets, which was more time-consuming than I thought it would be. Since then, there have been no leaks from the ports.

I purchased a roll of casketing from McMaster-Carr, which was cheaper than buying individual gaskets from Spartan. Steve Laume, an active participant in this message board, lent me a template, and I installed the gaskets with contact cement.

The most complex problem was removing all the old casketing and glue from the bronze frames.

Should you be interested in some casketing, I would be more than happy to ship some to you. Just PM me with your mailing address--and reimburse me for shipping.

Best of luck!
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Joe
What is the part number for the gasket material at McMaster Carr? And how close it it to the gasket sold by Spartan Marine?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim. Anyone know if it’s the cord or the tube?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It's the cord.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
House

Post by House »

New gaskets make a world of difference. I started to see a few drops here and there two years ago, but over the last several months, it seemed that five out of the eight ports leaked a steady drip-drip-drip, even in a light rain. Last month I installed new gaskets all around; she's dry now.

I put a thin coat of rubber cement on both the gasket and the channel around the port frame. Push gasket into place and that's it. As others have said, the most time consuming part is removing the old gaskets and glue.

Good luck!

Richard
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The spartan marine gaskets I installed on the FR have held up well. Three years of hard use. No leaks. But I think it would be wise to have a length of gasket material aboard the FR if they do start to leak at some point.

Seems we could split up a 100’ roll three ways and cut the cost by 1/3. Anyone interested?
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I replaced my gaskets about 10 years ago using the same McMaster-Carr material. The removal of the old is the biggest task. After scraping out the old as best of could, I used a small wire brush drill attachment. About 1-1/2 diameter and 1/4 - 3/8" thick. Fit perfect in the groves of the port casting. Cleaned the metal to bright finish, then quick wipe with acetone. Maybe 5 minutes per port.
Doug Gibson
dr2owen

Post by dr2owen »

I would be interested in splitting a roll of gasket material with people. I was also wondering what kind of template Joe was referring to.
Martha Lei

Post by Martha Lei »

Doug Gibson wrote:I replaced my gaskets about 10 years ago using the same McMaster-Carr material. The removal of the old is the biggest task. After scraping out the old as best of could, I used a small wire brush drill attachment. About 1-1/2 diameter and 1/4 - 3/8" thick. Fit perfect in the groves of the port casting. Cleaned the metal to bright finish, then quick wipe with acetone. Maybe 5 minutes per port.
==========================================================
need to replace all gaskets, on my CD 30 but like to know how to do it.
Is this just remove old one and re apply new one over a flat glass surface? or is there a groove,some kind of channel where the gasket fits in?
Do not want to tear the old one without knowing what is the set up.
Any help appreciated.
Also what kind of adhesive you use?
thanks
A Sempre Avanti
Mahalo Plenty
Martha Lei

Post by Martha Lei »

John Stone wrote:The spartan marine gaskets I installed on the FR have held up well. Three years of hard use. No leaks. But I think it would be wise to have a length of gasket material aboard the FR if they do start to leak at some point.

Seems we could split up a 100’ roll three ways and cut the cost by 1/3. Anyone interested?
===========================================================
I would
A Sempre Avanti
Mahalo Plenty