Anchor light suggestions?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

AMcC

Anchor light suggestions?

Post by AMcC »

I'd like to install an anchor light and can think of a couple of possibilities. One would be a mast-top installation, which would require dropping the mast... etc. Another would be to install a pole on the aft end of the boat (25D) for the radar reflector, a GPS unit, and a powered anchor light. Other thoughts/recommendations?
-Alec
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Anchor light suggestions?

Post by tjr818 »

Hang a lantern from the forestay. LED lights will last for days on a C cell or a pair of AAs. A kerosene lantern hung from the forestay is what I used to use, raise it up with the jib halyard about as high a you can reach.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

An inexpensive option that does not require installation:

Utility LED Anchor Light w/ Dusk to Dawn Photocell,
https://store.marinebeam.com/utility-le ... -fx-ml-01/

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I support hilbert's advice. Davis makes a similar product. Also the top of the mast is not the ideal place for an anchor light. For occasional use his recommendation is ideal.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I use both Tim and Hilberts suggestions. 90 percent of the time I use my kerosene anchor light secured to the forestay about six feet off the deck. It’s in the line of sight of other boats underway. When I will be away from the boat during much of the day and much of the night I use the Davis Marine light. In the past, the cord was not long enough to make it to the foredeck so I hung it off the lazy jacks about 8’ over the main cabin top aft of the mast. But I recently added another 12v drop to the forward cabin so I can employ it in the same manner as the kerosene anchor light.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If you hoist a lantern on a halyard, PLEASE attach a downhaul to the lantern. You will regret it if you hoist it to the masthead without one. This happened to me on my very first night anchoring. That's a rookie mistake that you make once. All these years later, this episode sticks out as one of the dumbest things I have ever done on the water.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Carl, you are exactly right. I always have a down haul rigged on the anchor light too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

IKEA sells great synthetic paper lanterns that are weather resistant and are “lack o light sensitive”. As soon as the sun ets, they turn on... I have 2 for cockpit lights but they would be a great simple anchor light to hang off the rigging.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Nebe wrote:IKEA sells great synthetic paper lanterns that are weather resistant and are “lack o light sensitive”. As soon as the sun ets, they turn on... I have 2 for cockpit lights but they would be a great simple anchor light to hang off the rigging.
All those little, solar, garden lights make great cockpit lighting and will help you identify your boat in a crowded anchorage but are not legal anchor lights.

Most of the places we tend to anchor, are designated anchorages that do not require you to hoist an anchor light but are precisely the places where you need on close to the water. I have a light controlled, mast head anchor light at the top of the mast, which meets all legal requirements. I also keep a little garden light in a flag socket that I no longer use. The little light is nice for cockpit lighting and helps to show the boat. It is fairly dim, doesn't always last the night and is not a legal anchor light. I also have a ARC, automatic light that runs off of a lantern battery. It used to be fairly dim as well. I switched the bulb to an LED and it is now very bright. This is what I use when in an anchorage where I feel there may be a threat of some idiot smashing my boat in the middle of the night. I hang it from the boom so that it illuminates the entire boat. While the foretriangle may be the traditional place for such a light, I feel I am better protected by having it light up the entire boat a while the mast head light, covers all the legal requirements.

Those plug in lights are good but I wouldn't want to have to deal with the cord, always being in the way, Steve.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

hilbert wrote:An inexpensive option that does not require installation:

Utility LED Anchor Light w/ Dusk to Dawn Photocell,
https://store.marinebeam.com/utility-le ... -fx-ml-01/

How long is the cord? I have an LED bulb in my mast head tricolor/anchor light but it's always better to have something lower for motor-boaters to see...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
steveg

Post by steveg »

A guest mooring light, which has the bulb replaced with a LED bulb, works well. It will last the whole season on a single battery. You hang it when needed and stow it when it is not. It has a light sensor so it only comes on when it is dark.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

The cord on my Davis Marine LED anchor light is 15’ long.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

My ARC light is exactly like the Guest light.

You can find them at consignment shops for very little money. Once you replace the bulb with an LED they are very bright and you could leave it on all season without the battery running out. They are a bit bigger than the plug in units but are easy to stow without a cord to coil up and get in the way. You don't have to worry about where you rig it as it is not ties to a socket. You can also use it for other lighting purposes like climbing into a dark engine compartment. It can be left on with the main battery switch turned off.

http://ariel-cd36.org/wordpress/?p=778

They are just great lights, Steve.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Excellent info Steve. Good post by David V too. I’ll keep an eye out for one. Good to have options.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:The cord on my Davis Marine LED anchor light is 15’ long.
Many thanks!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!