Frozen foot block

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: Frozen foot block

Post by Jim Walsh »

David Morton wrote:Joy from Schaefer just emailed me the invoice! Great minds think alike!

part no. 25-020-12

description: SPACER, .05OD X .316ID X .907LG
Thank you, David. This info will allow me to place a precise order.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I sure wish I had read this before I tore mine apart. but I'm glad I saved it. Maybe I can still fix it. I was able to turn the sheave very little with a hammer and chisel and the bolt turned . I guessed the bolt was broken and froze in because I could see on the other side it wasn't turning out of the nut.. I grinded the nut off the back and forced the sheave out. This is a project I can work on that won't cost much. While I am getting caught up on my new sails expense. I did kinda want to keep these. The other side is working still. some might say I butchered it. I'm just working on the top of my dockbox. I don't have a shop and all the machinist tools etc. I think I did try mapp gas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I cleaned the parts and the sheave is badly corroded. I don't think Its worth repairing. For now I ordered a new bushing and I will put it back together and continue using it till I can buy all new stuff for both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Today I called Schaefer Marine to order the replacement bushings and cheeks to refurbish both my turning blocks. David Morton was kind enough to provide the part number, in a previous posting, for the bushings from his invoice but I did not have the relevant part number for the cheeks. That problem was solved by being a name dropper.....Joy (whom David had placed his order with) looked up David's order and was able to obtain the needed part number.
Thanks again David.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

this cheek plate has a recess that the bushing goes in. Can someone tell me if that is just wear or is that part of the design
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Part of the design.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks John, I'm becoming like one of the new genX'ers posting all my thoughts without thinking. I see now that the bushing remains fairly stationary and the sheave and bearing rotate around . I have to reuse this one for a while. I doubt that it will get much use.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Not as nice as the big boys but It will do for a while. I had a flange nut welded to the back and put a new bushing and bolts. It ended up costing $70. But I can put it back with the teak blocks and didn't have to make new holes etc.I think I could've spent $400 to install a new pair.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I ordered replacement bushings and plates (cheeks) from Schaefer Marine a week ago. Yesterday I dismantled my foot blocks and cleaned all the surfaces and components. When I closely inspected the new components I realized the two mounting holes in the cheeks were 1/4" while the old cheeks had 5/16" holes. I took the time to dry fit all the components to ensure there were no other surprises, there were none.
I didn't want to return the cheeks so I took them home, clamped the old and new cheeks together so I could use the old cheeks as drill guides, and used my drill press to ensure the new 5/16" holes were concentric.
Today I was able to lubricate all mating surfaces with Super Lube and reassemble.

I have included a photo of the old bushings. You can see that one has a crack! I have never had any issues with my foot blocks but this is an indication that nothing lasts forever. I'm glad I chose to be proactive and perform this maintenance now as it was clearly necessary. Based on my own findings I would encourage everyone to disassemble their foot blocks and inspect the components as you may also have a cracked bushing.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Nice work. Your sheaves look pretty good. Is The recess for the bushing in the bottom cheek kinda smashed up? Did you need to replace the top cheek or was that just for looks. I think I saw a pair of these last year at the consignment store in San Francisco for $40. Did you find new bolts with the same shallow heads.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

What a great job by everyone that rebuilt their foot blocks. Mine are still sitting in my spares box. I plan to incorporate them back into the Far Reach at some point.

Jim, I notice your foot blocks are angled up towards the winches for a fair lead. Do the backing plates have the same but opposite oriented bevels? What are the backing plates made of and how big are they?

I’m not happy with the aluminum cheek plates. Just like Jim’s, and many others, mine have suffered badly from galvanic corrosion between the aluminum plates, bronze sheave, and SS. What was Schafer Marine thinking? Couple bucks more and they could have made the cheek plates out of bronze.

At some point, I’ll oder some 3/32 silicon bronze plate and use the old aluminum cheek plate as a template for new ones made with bronze. It’s not high on the list of the many things I have to do for our next passage in November, but at some point I’ll get around to it.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:Nice work. Your sheaves look pretty good. Is The recess for the bushing in the bottom cheek kinda smashed up? Did you need to replace the top cheek or was that just for looks. I think I saw a pair of these last year at the consignment store in San Francisco for $40. Did you find new bolts with the same shallow heads.
The recess for my bushings were in fine shape.
I replaced the cheeks just for the sake of vanity.
I cleaned the threads on my existing bolts and reused them. They are 316SS and in fine shape.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I haven't worked on the starboard block yet . I will follow your guys's example when I do. I should be able to do it in place like you did.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:What a great job by everyone that rebuilt their foot blocks. Mine are still sitting in my spares box. I plan to incorporate them back into the Far Reach at some point.

Jim, I notice your foot blocks are angled up towards the winches for a fair lead. Do the backing plates have the same but opposite oriented bevels? What are the backing plates made of and how big are they?

I’m not happy with the aluminum cheek plates. Just like Jim’s, and many others, mine have suffered badly from galvanic corrosion between the aluminum plates, bronze sheave, and SS. What was Schafer Marine thinking? Couple bucks more and they could have made the cheek plates out of bronze.

At some point, I’ll oder some 3/32 silicon bronze plate and use the old aluminum cheek plate as a template for new ones made with bronze. It’s not high on the list of the many things I have to do for our next passage in November, but at some point I’ll get around to it.
They are mounted in a real inaccessible spot. I can't see the backing plates but everything seems to have an aluminum backing plate on the CD31. I'd need an inspection mirror on an extension and a trained marmoset to be certain. Maybe one of those bore scopes could do the job and keep me out of the monkey business.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Anchored at Scorpions.Put block back on. Took apart other .Funny everything on port is more corroded. My blocks have double bevel an flat backing The plates are angled because they span across the flange where the hul land deck meet.Note to self: get visegrips
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510