Battery 1/2 unequal charging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

frankfurder

Battery 1/2 unequal charging

Post by frankfurder »

My 2 bank battery has worked well for 20yr. Now #2 away from switch charges less than #1 closer to switch. I replaced ground negative between the parallel wired batteries and swapped batteries 1 to 2,no change.
Both charge at 14 v based on multimeter but volt meter at panel shows 13 v when charging, may need a new voltmeter?

Have used a solar panel since have no shore power. 12 v bible hasn’t helped.
Dean Abramson

Re: Battery 1/2 unequal charging

Post by Dean Abramson »

I am wondering if the contact for the #2 battery on the back of the boat's voltmeter could be a little corroded.

Maybe the battery is charging okay, but the meter is telling the wrong story?
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

Voltmeter May be deficient, in fact that’s hoe this Odessy started, voltmeter started showing 13 v when charging on alternator. Multimeter on battery shows 14 v so I think alternator is fine. Maybe I need a solar battery tender and perhaps connecting to red positive a d grounding the black negative? I have been connecting the solar panel to both terminals on Battery #2.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Check each connection and cable for voltage drop.

Check the battery in your multimeter first. Those things go nuts with a low battery. BTW if it isnt one of those digital types that reads to hundredths of a volt its worthless.

Take the offending battery out and charge it separately. Once charged put a load tester on it. It could be going bad...bad cell, sulfated, etc.

Boyd
s/v Cat-a-Tonic
Prout 34
Fort Lauderdale, Fla