CD 25 vs 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

pjust

CD 25 vs 25D

Post by pjust »

As happy as I've been with my Typhoon, after five years of sailing I feel ready to move up to a bigger boat. I want something that will be easy to single-hand, have a head and a rudimentary galley, and be comfortable enough for cruises of a few days. I want a full keel because of all the lobster pots in my vicinity and the kind of ballast/displacement ratio I have with the Typhoon for the feeling of security it gives me but I also want a relatively shallow draft. A CD25 seems like an obvious choice. (The Pearson Ariel/Commander, another Alberg design also seems about right.)

My initial preference is for a 25D; an inboard engine seems right. But I may have a chance to buy a 25 equipped with an outboard in the lazarette. I'd be grateful for advice on the pros and cons of the versions and, for that matter, any other advice listers might have to offer.

TIA!
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: CD 25 vs 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Those with much more knowledge than I will soon post I am sure but for starters:

As you observed CD 25D has diesel (Yanmar or other) versus O/B on CD 25. My thought is a diesel is generally more reliable and easier to deal with.

All CD 25Ds have a legitimate marine head with holding tank. The head is in the V-berth and the holding tank is just aft of the cabin ladder near the diesel. I think some CD 25s came with a marine head and holding tank below the V-berth forward. Others came with a porta potty set up.

All CD 25Ds have standing headroom (unless you are very tall). CD 25 cabins do not allow standing unless you are short.

Drafts are pretty similiar (6" difference); sail sizes are a little larger on the CD 25D but close.

Ballasts are similar - 2050 lbs on CD 25D and 1700 lbs on a CD 25

For a few days either would be comfortable. For a few weeks I would think the CD 25D with standing head room would be more comfortable long term.

Best wishes on your search :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

As Roberto mentioned, the inboard diesel may be a bit more reliable, but working on it can be a challenge due to lack of space. Being able to remove the outboard for repair and/or maintenance is a nice advantage in my book.

I have owned 2 CD25s and sailed on a friend's CD25D. While the 25D has more room, it also has higher freeboard. I could rather easily climb into my 25 from the water w/o a ladder, but not so on the 25D. I also feel the 25 has performance advantage over the 25D.

As with all boats, it's a compromise and one that only you can decide. I would suggest sailing on both if you can before making a decision.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

I owned a 25 and another person at my marina has a 25D. I think for comfort on overnights the 25D would be the better boat. The 25 is easy to sail and maintain. Both can be single handed easily. Inboard is quieter and the outboard is easy to replace or take home for the winter. Inboard will give to prop wash helping with handling that the outboards location doesn't give.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

One big question is whether you are planning to tow the boat. There is about 1000 pounds difference between the two. If you are going to have it hauled and kept at a marina you might look at a CD-27 as well. I feel that the CD-25 is at the limit or just beyond what the average towing package and driver can handle. The CD-27 is a sweet boat that adds another 1000 pounds. There are lots of fans of the CD-25D. The forward head is nice but takes up a lot of room in a small boat.

Boats and life are a compromise, Steve.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

No direct experience with either boat but I would recommend a CD 28 be considered. Many more of them, same or lower cost and it will give much more upside in terms of your growth in sailing....even if you want to get into serious cruising. Only major issue is towing but I recently had my 30 trucked professionally from Virginia to Key West and it was very reasonable.

V/r

Pete
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

The 25 is definitely a better sailing boat, largely due to the higher profile of the 25D.
That said, I've been a loyal 25D owner since I joined this organization (or is it the other way around?).
The standing headroom (for short people like me), the greater displacement and the general comfort of the 25D, plus the advantage of an inboard diesel, make the 25D a better boat, IMHO.

As others have pointed out, the 25D is not really trailerable, although some have done it with heavy-duty pickups, etc. If you want a real pocket cruiser--sometimes called the "East Coast Flicka," I would go with the 25D. If you're looking for a nice daysailer with a tight but useable cabin, the 25 might be your kind of boat.

FWIW, Carl Alberg did not design the CD25. But that doesn't mean she's not a Cape Dory.

Best,

Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

I have a 1978 25 with a marine head and holding tank below the V-berth. Also has a sink and water tank aft. Originally the boat came with a two burner countertop stove, I believe. It's a nice simple layout. The starboard berth is about 6'4 while the port berth is probably a foot shorter due to the sink aft. There is also a table aft the bulkhead. You could certainly overnight comfortably. I can't imagine anyone actually stands up inside the CD25; I'm 6'3 and my head touches the cabin top when seated. I have heard the CD25D is slightly taller. I have a remote control for the outboard mounted within the cockpit, so it is very simple to operate. The remote control unit isn't exactly aesthetic but it is very convenient.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Can I put in a plug for the CD26? All of the interior headroom of the 25D, but the outboard of the 25! I had a 25 for number of years, and then bought a 26 when it came up for sale in my marina. When the old 2-stroke outboard gave up the ghost, my re-powering effort (with a 4-stroke Yamaha) cost me all of $1,800.

For me, it's ideal for single-handling.

Darin
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Darin,

Yes, I think the CD26 is a great vessel... the problem is finding one.
They made over 840 CD25s but only 180+ CD25s and less than 80 CD26s...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
casampson

Post by casampson »

One aspect that the posters here have not yet mentioned is cost. A CD 25 is going to cost significantly less than a CD 25D. There are several in my area for less that $4,000, and they aren't selling at even those low prices. I paid $4,600 for mine in May, and I now feel that perhaps I paid too much. But a CD 25D, if you can find one, might cost about $20,000. That's a serious difference. If I were on the fence as to whether to buy a CD 25 or a CD 25D, and I was just your average middle-income American, I might choose the CD 25 just because of the lower price.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Look at them both. Consider what you want to do and how many people you want along. If what you need is a "bigger Typhoon" go with the 25. If you want a mini-cruiser with the amenities of a yacht (inboard, head, head room, etc.) go for the 25D. All comments previously listed are valid and useful, but how you anticipate using the boat is entirely your call and really is a major element of this decision.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

As a practical matter, there are a lot more CD 25s that CD25Ds out there to choose from, and the 25Ds will typically be significantly more $$$s (I've seen them priced at $12k - $24K, the latter in Bristol condition and re-engined) , so it may come down to what acceptable vessel comes on the market first. Last year I looked at a CD25D and a CD26D (yes inboard diesel), but decided that for the majority of my sailing the large cabin of the 25D and 26D compared to the cockpit were disadvantages, so I looked at several CD 22s, CD 22Ds and CD Typhoon Seniors before settling on the latter. The larger cockpit of the CD22 and TY Senior are really nice for daysailing (which is most of what I do), but the cabin is large enough for 2-3 nights assuming that one cooks on a stern rail-mounted grille, dinghies into shore for dinner or eats a lot of sandwinches. In the 22-foot length, I preferred the TY Senior because it dispenses with the sink (port) and opposite cabinet (stbd) of the CD22 which gives it longer berths. Also, the TY Senior has a lazarette-mounted outboard which is always right at hand, vs. having to reach back to the stern on the CD22. In either case, removing the outboard for service on either a CD22 or TY Senior is a lot easier than a diesel (esp. on the CD 22D). Finally, any of the 22-foot CDs are easy to trailer yourself (assuming that it comes with a trailer; new trailers are rather pricey) which also allows you to bring it home during the off-season if you don't live within a reasonable distance of a marina and can have it trucked there. I have been advised that a lot of the cost of truck transporting a sailboat comes from the pickup and delivery which can be time-consuming. There is another TY Senior owner nearby that recently upgraded from a Typhoon as well, so he is in a better position to comment on the differences.
MHB Sailor
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Last edited by Tim Mertinooke on Sep 10th, '18, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

Very impressive! Looks like you have a "float-off" Triad trailer. Most of the Triad trailers that I've seen 22-foot CDs come with are the "lift-off" type. How steep a ramp is required? I'm presuming you launch and haul at high tide. I would be most interested to know how you step such a mast on your mooring by yourself? Do you use some form of mechanical assistance?
Last edited by MHBsailor on Sep 2nd, '18, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
MHB Sailor