CD 25D Mystery fittings

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KMagill

CD 25D Mystery fittings

Post by KMagill »

Hello All,
Does anyone know what the small nylon fittings are for on the bulkhead between the forward cabin (head) and the main cabin?

There are two of them and I have no idea what they could be for.. They look like factory fittings..

Just curious...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Jim Walsh

Re: CD 25D Mystery fittings

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks like a detent to hold the barrel bolt which holds your seat back in an open and closed position.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Jim Walsh wrote:Looks like a detent to hold the barrel bolt which holds your seat back in an open and closed position.
Jim,
The settee slides to become a "double wide" so if would never swing up.. There is only a cotter pin in a hole to keep it from sliding underway.

It's not a big deal, they just look like someone put them there for a reason..

Happy Sailing
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

KMagill wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:Looks like a detent to hold the barrel bolt which holds your seat back in an open and closed position.
Jim,
The settee slides to become a "double wide" so if would never swing up.. There is only a cotter pin in a hole to keep it from sliding underway.

It's not a big deal, they just look like someone put them there for a reason..

Happy Sailing
My seat back is able to articulate to an "up" position to allow access to storage. I presumed your CD25D might have the same feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Yep! On KAYLA, my CD28, both seat backs fold up and have bolts to lock them in place. The key is to remove the back cushions first. This gives more room in the berths as well as better access to the storage space behind the backs.
On KAYLA, the port berth has a slide out and using both back cushions "sort of" makes the larger berth almost comfortable... :roll:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Well Thank you both!

The 25D does not have such an ability. Cape Dory must have used the same bulkhead for both models!
The cushions are loose and there is (unfortunately ) no storage behind them.. boy I wish there was..

Without the forward V-berth, the double-wide is the best we have..

Thanks!
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

A previous owner might have removed the seat backs.

I got rid of them on Raven as they were always in the way. I couldn't get at the book racks when they were opened and could not get to the stowage compartments behind them when they were down. I made doors for the lower stowage compartments and us pillows for back rests. The two seat back cushions were supposed to be used to make up a very small double bunk on the starboard side that wasn't big enough for two.

If I want a big bed, I made up some panels that fit between the two settees to form a nice whole boat bed.

If you look under the little ledge you should be able to see the screw holes that the hinged back rest fit into, Steve.
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

I think Steve is likely correct. My 25D hull #111 (only a few after yours) does have the articulated seat backs, just as Jim is showing. The holes are the detents for the barrel bolts to hold the backs in the up or down positions. I also have the same upholstery as you. Could the seat backs have been an option?
All the best
Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Bob Lascelles wrote:I think Steve is likely correct. My 25D hull #111 (only a few after yours) does have the articulated seat backs, just as Jim is showing. The holes are the detents for the barrel bolts to hold the backs in the up or down positions. I also have the same upholstery as you. Could the seat backs have been an option?
All the best
Bob
Bob,
They may have been an option.. or I think my cushions are not original. I would think that would be hard to believe since the fabric matches?
Does your CD25 have storage under the cushions? Mine does on the port side. Nothing on the starboard side. Just draws underneath..
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi Keith,
The seat backs on my boat are supported by hinged plywood panels that in the down position provide an angled back rest. The cushions are attached along the top of the ply backrest with Velcro strips. When using the berths, you swing the backrests up out of the way so the berths are a little wider. The two back cushions become fillers for the pullout double berth on the starboard side. With the plywood backrest in the down position there’s not really any room behind them for stowage. My storage sounds to be exactly the same as on your boat
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

In my 25D, these sockets retain the barrel bolt that holds the hinged seat back in the down and up positions. If your seat backs were removed, you may find screw holes under the teak shelf where the hinges were attached. There is no storage (shelves or otherwise) provided behind the backs. - Steve D.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

On KAYLA (CD28) there are no "shelves" but lots of room behind the seat backs. Enough space to hold 3 18-packs on both port & starboard! Just the right amount for a week-end cruise... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

Steve Darwin wrote:In my 25D, these sockets retain the barrel bolt that holds the hinged seat back in the down and up positions. If your seat backs were removed, you may find screw holes under the teak shelf where the hinges were attached. There is no storage (shelves or otherwise) provided behind the backs. - Steve D.
Steve,

You are correct! I went down and pulled the seat backs. There are holes for hinges underneath. I guess the PO decided to remove them.. I would think it would be nice to have on the port side to provide access to the storage underneath..

Thanks for the feedback..
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
KMagill

Post by KMagill »

mgphl52 wrote:On KAYLA (CD28) there are no "shelves" but lots of room behind the seat backs. Enough space to hold 3 18-packs on both port & starboard! Just the right amount for a week-end cruise... :D
That would be nice… There is no such storage on the 25D… (maybe time for an upgrade :D )
Keith Magill
SV Take 2
Cape Dory 25D Hull 106
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yep, those are detents to hold the barrel bolts when you raise the settee backs. Even though the 25D has the double-wide sliding option, you can still lock the backs in the alleged "out of the way" position when you're sleeping.

I put quotes in there because, when they are raised, the seat backs make it impossible to access the storage areas just below the port lights. I've toyed with removing the backs, but there's not that much extra room. Besides, I'm usually cruising solo, so I don't need to slide out the bunk.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627